Feedback on brands of ATF available for AM6 and AL4 auto transmissions

Ken W

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Hi Citrofroggers,

I have had the C5X7 for 3.5 years now so it is out of warranty and has done about 62,000km. The spanner is showing on the dashboard so I am preparing for my first annual service. I have a Fram filter set and some nice TOTAL oil for the engine.

The AM6 gearbox is supposedly sealed for life or until the oil wear indicator in the ECU decides it needs to be changed. However I have noticed of late that the gear changes are not quite as smooth as they used to be so I am thinking I will do a double 3 litre oil change on the AM6 as well.

Unfortunately is can't seem to get the AF searches to work for me at present so I have tried using google but have not come up with many past threads on the topic so my apologies if I am going to go over old ground.

Of course, Haynes gives a Citroen part number for the AM6 oil, but the C6 Mechanics Handbook quotes a JWS3309 oil type. Aisin Warner specify an AW-1 type oil requirement for this gearbox. I have been able to locate 20 litre drum of Mobil 3309 Synthetic in Brissie for $203.

I can also get 4 litre pots of Nulon ATF synthetic at Supercheap for $65 each which says it is compatible with 3309, AW-1 and LT71141 (is this the ESSO oil for AL4 boxes??)(see link below) This oil sounds like it could be very handy for the home mechanic as it will do AL4 and AM6 gearboxes. Has anyone used this oil and if so how did you find it?

www.nulon.com.au/product-bulletin/PB-SYNATF

So which way do you think I should go, get the Mobil and trust their reputation and the correct oil type or trust Aussie ingenuity to produce a superior oil that exceeds all the specs for AM6 and AL4 boxes?

Comments appreciated.

Cheers, :cheers:

Ken W

Don't know about Nulon, but also consider Penrite's range. The factory sells different oil for the AL4/4HP20 versus AM6, so they'd do that for a reason. Mind you, you can buy the same Loctite sealant from PSA under two different part numbers with different prices! In this case, I think they are different products. I have read, but can't give any backup, that 3309 is actually a Mobil standard, so their oil should be compliant. The AM6 is essentially an AW TF80SC, so that may help you. However, you may even find it's a valve block/solenoid issue, particularly if it slips when hot. Sonnax in the USA have some info on sticking AW6 solenoids.

Mine is coming up soon for its 80,000km service. I asked at CCars re the gearbox fluid at 60k and Greg advised that they do it at 80k, so that will be on the list. The gearbox seems to be working fine though. (he says going down on atheistic bended knees to the PSA/Aisin Warner deities)

I have just replaced the ATF in our Laguna II V6 with Aisin Warner box with Toyota Type IV fluid (from any Toyota service outlet) and it has transformed the box ... much smoother and seemless in operation. Camry / Lexus uses Aisin Warner 5 speed box with this fluid specified and I have used it for the past three years in our Saab 9-5 (Series II) turbo wagon having replaced the Mobil 1 ATF with similar pleasing results...

Have done two ATF changes 2½ years ago with Penrite BMV on the C5’s AL4, and it still goes very well.
The Esso LT71141 is the recommended oil for the AL4.
Nulon says that its SYNATF oil is suitable where LT71141 is recommended.

oil supplier AW-1

Hi, I've read as much as I could find about the auto transmission oil in an AM6 auto box, 2012 Citroen C5, euro5 and other brands. I've been tempted to go for several oils which claimed to be compatible. Glad I waited:
Onshore Oils in Brisbane and Melbourne were very helpful. They recommended Fluidmatic MVLV synthetic. This has the lower viscosity required for AW-1. Details in data sheet in link below . This oil is JWS3324 or AW-1 compatible ie. not 3309 as for earlier pre Euro5 cars.

39.27 + gst/4l at 8 aquarium ave, hammant, brisbane

https://catalog.lubricants.total.com/en/products/9rv/FLUIDMATIC-MV-LV

258,000km on ours so far and its changes have been Penrite fully synth about every 40,000km. Still going strong.

258,000km on ours so far and its changes have been Penrite fully synth about every 40,000km. Still going strong.

Now that's experience-related advice for you! What puzzles me is how you knock up so many km. That'd take me 20 years....

Had mine done at K Mart auto, full flush and refill, using Toyota fluid, great result and about $250 all up.

Sent from my iPad using aussiefrogs

Now that's experience-related advice for you! What puzzles me is how you knock up so many km. That'd take me 20 years....

I think it has something to do with sitting in the driver's seat and moving hands and feet. :roflmao: The car's done many comfy trips. I'll try to list some:

South Aus for Citins at least twice (first time three weeks after we bought in 2009 and we took a brand new black car to Kangaroo Island)
Renmark for Deb to do a rose trip
Tassie for a lap and a Citin
Melbourne and back twice (I think)
Qld at least three times
Dubbo and back too many times to think
Cooma/Tathra and back many times
Canberra and back many times
I commuted from Sydney to Wollongong every workday for four months
Used it for a number of work trips
I do a 90km commute for work each day...

etc etc etc

Last edited:
I must do this on 'er indoors Mondeo (same box). How many litres are required for the repeated fills?
Hi - revisiting this old thread as my 2012 x7 needs a gearbox oil change. Garage tell me there are two separate oils to be changed for the gearbox. Said its a dsg manual box which changes automatically so two distinct oil areas with different oils. I haven't seen this description before. I'd appreciate any advice

My gearbox seems fine. Only thing is, if I accelerate too fast from stop it seems to pass the point of changing to second and over rev. Take it easier and all good.

No it only has one oil the only psa car that runs a dsg is the 4007 c crosser and we never had contrôlée manuals in c5s here a 2012 C5 needs to use AW 1 oil or equivalent available from Toyota very cheap.
The fault you describe sounds like a valve body.

No it only has one oil the only psa car that runs a dsg is the 4007 c crosser and we never had contrôlée manuals in c5s here a 2012 C5 needs to use AW 1 oil or equivalent available from Toyota very cheap.
The fault you describe sounds like a valve body.
Thank you. I think I'll change garage.....