Faulty speedo & battery drain

Chris Sp

Tadpole
Hello Peugeot owners: I thought this forum was supposed to end...? Glad it hasn't. My 407, 2005 model has developed two issues - among others which I have described previously. Battery is being drained when left unlocked for a week. I now have to unhook the battery terminal to ensure I have enough volts to get started. Don't think this is related to the next issue: The speedo started playing up a couple of weeks ago. Thought it only failed when the car got hot sitting in the sun - unfortunately it isn't parked under cover. When cooler, it worked. Today, not so hot, but car in the sun, speedo didn't work. Upon re-start it did, but then stopped at 40km on the way home. Any suggestions?

Normally the boot light is on all the time

My 406 speedo used to stop working but would start again if I thumped hard on the dash top. Someone else here had the same problem which turned out to be bad connections (ever so slightly corroded) on the back of the speedo. I think they sprayed some anti-corrosion stuff on it and fixed it.

Try thumping quite hard on the dash top next time it stops working.

When my 306 speedo stopped working I got lucky with wiggling all the fuses in the driver side footwell.

Thread here:

Also:
My favourite mantra for any french vehicle electrical gremlims, disconnect battery positive lead first, then loosen any bolt holding eyelets with black wires, wiggle them to force star washer to scratch the mating surfaces and retighten.
For this type of issue follow the earth lead from the battery down to back of gearbox and bolt hidden behind the thermostat, loosen with a 13mm socket and a very long extension between the pipes for the heater core. This earth is where the VSS and O2 sensors get their ground.

Hello Peugeot owners: I thought this forum was supposed to end...? Glad it hasn't. My 407, 2005 model has developed two issues - among others which I have described previously. Battery is being drained when left unlocked for a week. I now have to unhook the battery terminal to ensure I have enough volts to get started. Don't think this is related to the next issue: The speedo started playing up a couple of weeks ago. Thought it only failed when the car got hot sitting in the sun - unfortunately it isn't parked under cover. When cooler, it worked. Today, not so hot, but car in the sun, speedo didn't work. Upon re-start it did, but then stopped at 40km on the way home. Any suggestions?
Still having problems with the speedo, despite suggestions of banging on dash! I searched YouTube today to see where the speedo sensor might be and whether I can get a new one. One video explained that when the ABS sensor becomes faulty, it causes the speedo to not work. (I am getting an error message to say that the ABS is not working). The video originator showed how he removed the petrol tank to get at the ABS sensor to replace it... Can anyone throw any light on this solution?

You need to see what the abs fault is one speed sensor won’t kill the Speedo on a 407 sounds more like a faulty driver or speedometer needle motor or possibly a coms issue between the abs ecu and the network you will need a scan tool for this