F1 - Austrian GP this weekend 4/7/2021.

Fordman

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Following last week's Styrian GP at the same Zeltweg track (Red Bull Ring), the Austrian GP is on this weekend.
From last week and last night's practice 1 & 2, it looks like Verstappen has the upper hand at the moment, Mercedes "struggling" (it's all relative, isn't it - they are still winners!). The gaps have closed immensely in the last 12 months.
I had to check on Google, yes, it's the old Osterriechring with half the track cut off. I used to think it was a great track (1980s, 90s?) but now its a bit small for a GP, but I guess they are still not able to use the bigger tracks due to Covid hubs, etc.
What the heck is all the black tyre tracks cutting across the GP track? Looks like an alternate layout track has just had a drift day or something :D . But it might just be the usual track for club racing.

On to qualifying tonight.

What the heck is all the black tyre tracks cutting across the GP track? Looks like an alternate layout track has just had a drift day or something :D . But it might just be the usual track for club racing.
They have been having so many offs in practice so maybe the F1 cars have been doing the drifting? 😁 :rolllaugh:(y)

Yeah, Red Bull leading the Constructors title by 40 points and Max leading the Drivers Championship by 18 point, with Perez and Norris ahead of Bottas.

Ever more so the battle between McLaren and Ferrari. Then if they drop the ball Alpha Tauri, Aston and Alpine are all right there.

Hamilton has signed up with Mercedes until end of 2023.

Qualifying highlights - click on the "Watch on youTube" link below

I think you will find the qualifying results surprising on a good way.

Looking for to the race. Awesome to see Lando up there on genuine pace one week to the next. Lets see if the Mercs can get past Perez and Lando to get to Max. Unlikely. Londo for P1 at the end of turn 3!

Looking for to the race. Awesome to see Lando up there on genuine pace one week to the next. Lets see if the Mercs can get past Perez and Lando to get to Max. Unlikely. Londo for P1 at the end of turn 3!

But will both Max and Lando make it to turn 2? 😁

Daniel R must be hurting, he is not accustomed to being second to anyone and qualifying 13th when his team mate is on the front row must be hard to take.

Another notable performance was Russel in the Williams - in 8th place