F1 - 2022 - Ricciardo to Red Bull in 2023

There's a lot to like about F1 - the most magnificent motor vehicle engineering in the world, on superb tracks (most of them, anyway - how long can Monaco last, the cars are just too fast these days. Same with the Isle of Man - I know it's the riders' choice to pull on his helmet, but when each race could easily be your last...) And we can cross our fingers and watch an Aussie driver compete with the best in the World, but crikey have we had some bad luck - poor old Mark Webber never got the breaks he deserved, and Daniel seems to have inherited that curse. Maybe 2024 in a Red Bull will change that.

Did you know the MotoGP bikes still have the highest top speed in a race? I watched a race last week, 348km/h. On a motorcycle? That's insane. The Moto Series is the bees knees for me. When they show you a slomo close-up of a rider sliding around a corner at over 160km/h it just takes your breath away. The big decider for me is the commentators - the Moto guys are just brilliant, so easy to listen to.

Unlike that screaming moron David Frost - the way that fool screams his head off for the first three or four laps is unbearable, I have to mute it until he settles down. He does the same thing when two of the top cars get close to each other, particularly if one is overtaking the other. And if there's an accident, the screaming starts again. I can't stand it. I just watch with my finger on the mute button.

Back to the thread - yeah we all wish Daniel the best, let's hope he shows the Red Bull guys just how good he really is in a top tier car and then goes on with it. Daniel Ricciardo - F1 World Champion 2024 - sounds great....

BP

Lot has been said about Daniels role at Red Bull, but here is a different take and I am inclined to think it may well be one of the reasons

Of course we wish Daniel well, but looking at past performances and that of Mark Webber, my view for what it's worth is they're just not fast enough, whatever they drive and, I think he was very lucky to get a seat for 2023. Both of them were good points getters for their team and capable of a sneaking a place on the rostrum after a bad day for the top guys. But Daniel can't keep making excuses for finishing out of the points when a lot of the time it was obviously his own fault. He just doesn't click in my view. Maybe Nascars in the future?

I think the real reason Red Bull hired him was to pressure Perez to toe the line and in worst case scenario, replace him at least in the short term. Sure he will be an asset to the team in PR and many other ways, but......

Reactions: Aln
Ricciardo may have made a good move for once - however it occurred.
Have watched qualifying for first F1GP of 2023 last weekend. (Haven't watched race yet).

The big mover is Aston Martin! Right up there biting at the heels of Red Bull, Ferrari, Mercedes. Alonzo outstanding and even Lance Stroll (recovering from a hand injury) is up there in the top 6.
And McLaren have dropped considerably, Piastri didn't make it out of Qualy 1 and Norris didn't advance from Qualy 2.
But overall, times were pretty close.
Looks interesting.