F1 - 2021 - Bahrain GP - Qualifying and race - Spoiler warning

FIVEDOOR

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Well well, could be interesting this weekend if yesterdays qualifying is anything to go by. Verstappen on pole with Hamilton second and Bottas on his heels and Leclerc just a shade behind Bottas.

Alonso qualified in the top ten (9th), while his team mate didn't make it past the first session.

McLarens qualified 6 & 7 with Ricciardo just ahead of his team mate.

Not looking great for Vettel, failed to make it out of the first session and was way behind his team mate. Perhaps his time was affected by a yellow flag, but he must be under lot of pressure starting from 12.

Young Mick Schumacher out qualified his team mate by a healthy margin but unsurprisingly the HAAS cars are at the rear of the field with little hope moving forward as the team will not be developing this car, but instead putting their resources into the new 2022 car.

Qualifying results:-

https://www.formula1.com/en/results.html/2021/races/1064/bahrain/qualifying.html

Last edited:
I haven't been keeping up with F1 in the off season, so watching last nights FP3 and Qualifying, I was more than a bit surprised they were almost talking Mercedes as the underdogs to Red Bull, based on preseason testing.
Having watched Mercedes with the upper hand for several years now, seemingly unstoppable, I can't help thinking that in the race they are still going to run away with it, at their own leisure.
However, I haven't had time to even look at what engines Red Bull are running this year, though I did see they are somehow taking over the Honda engine development.
So what's the big difference this year? Has MB gone backwards, or RB stepped up?

Red Bull are running Honda engines. Honda is pulling out at the end of this year and Redbull are going to take over the Honda engines from 2022. I think I read somewhere that they would set up a new company for the engine manufacture until end of 2024 as the new engine regulations are coming into force in 2025. Teams and FIA have agreed to freeze engine development to help facilitate the Redbull taking on the manufacture of the Honda engines.

There are new aero rules for this year, which could in part explain apparent improvement in Redbull performance.

It also seems like Ferrari have had some success in addressing their engine issues for this year.

There is also some keen young guns right behind the Verstappen/Hamilton/Bottas ready to spice up the opening lap with all sorts of action if they manage a good start :evil: :rolllaugh: :rolllaugh: :rolllaugh:

This is shaping up to be a potential blockbuster series. Lets see how the teams develop keeping in mind some are really focused on 2022. I think Redbull are surely thinking “just sort hamilton out” as are most teams to mix it up!
Great to see the field so close!

Well, the first race showed some promise. Hamilton won, but he had to fight for it. Vettel finished 15th. He wont have much time to come up with some results or he will be under real pressure. I Imagine Perez will be smiling on the inside seeing as he managed 5th.

1/ Hamilton
2/ Verstappen
3/ Bottas
4/ Norris
5/ Perez
6/ Leclerc
7/ Ricciardo
8/ Sainz
9/ Tsunoda
10/ Stroll
11/ Raikkonen
12/ Giovinazzi

Alonso DNF

Full results

https://www.formula1.com/en/results.html/2021/races/1064/bahrain/race-result.html

Yes, interesting conflict of enforcement of track limits vs being forced off the track in a genuine overtaking manoeuvre. I'm with Verstappen, "should have stayed in front and taken a chance on a penalty". On review the stewards may have let him go.
But a very good race overall.
The other interesting comment from the Haas boss, that the new regs made it harder for the already slower cars, and easier for the top group.

HAAS are going to find this year tough as they have already stopped development on this years car and concentrating their efforts on next year, so I'd probably take the HAAS comments with a grain of salt.

Some commentary on the race at below link. Some interesting comment, Ferrari have taken a big step forward as they and Alfa (running Ferrari engines) both performed much better compared to last year. Honda power is up, but some question marks appear over their reliability.

The big increase for Red Bull this year is that Honda wanting to go out on a high accelerated their new engine program and managed to deliver their 2022 engine in time for 2021. It is a complete redesign with the camshaft moved lower in the cylinder head and a different valve angle. They say the packaging size is smaller than their failed zero concept from a few years ago. Along with hitting their performance goals for the engine, it's packaging has allowed a much lower center of gravity and slimmer packaging for aero around the engine.

You can tell the engine is good as AlphaTauri are also punching above their weight!

Should make for an exciting season.

Last edited:
Was hoping Danny would get ahead of Lando from the outset too (well he did in Quali) but apparently his car was missing some downforce the entire race after Gasly hit his rear at the start, so he did well to bring some points in regardless.

Alonso's DNF

Alonso brakes overheated causing damage to the brake system. which resulted in the team retiring the car.

Post race inspection revealed a sandwich wrapper was stuck in the ducts causing the problem.

A1ACB096-722A-4CB2-A204-84E5569BF42D.jpeg