F1 2020 - Red Bull in talks to solve their engine supply issue

FIVEDOOR

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Red Bull are in talks with Honda to take over their engine program. Key to this is a FIA decision re engine development for 2022, which will require agreement from other F1 teams.

Red Bull are in talks with Honda to take over their engine program. Key to this is a FIA decision re engine development for 2022, which will require agreement from other F1 teams.

Now that would be something! Instead of being able to bitch about their engine supplier and it's performance they would have the sole responsibility of not only manufacturing and developing an engine but also providing a whole team including the chassis, the combination of which is something they have no experience of whatsoever. I'd like to see that!

Last edited:
theres more than one way to skin a cat if you have the money.

https://the-race.com/formula-1/who-could-take-on-honda-engine-development-for-red-bull/

Edit - added below info

In 2016 they found a way to use Tag_Heuer money to fund Mario Illien to help with the development of Renault engines.

https://www.calibre11.com/news-tag-heuer-powers-red-bull-racing-in-2016/

Tag Heuer make watches, not engines. They were plain old, non-fancy Renault F1 engines.......

Apart from my mild interest in Verstappen's career, Red Bull are still not good enough to be F1 Champion.

Tag Heuer make watches, not engines. They were plain old, non-fancy Renault F1 engines.......

I never said Tag-Heuer made F1 engines, I said they (Red Bull) used Tag-Heuer money. The engineering input was Mario Illien, of Ilmor Engineering, which was tied up with the development of the Mercedes Benz F1 engine until Merc bought them out fully in 2005. The same Mario Illen was involved in helping with the development of the Renault F1 engine around 2015. Tag-Heuer put up the money and got engine naming rights with the Red Bull.

I never said Tag-Heuer made F1 engines, I said they (Red Bull) used Tag-Heuer money. The engineering input was Mario Illien, of Ilmor Engineering, which was tied up with the development of the Mercedes Benz F1 engine until Merc bought them out fully in 2005. The same Mario Illen was involved in helping with the development of the Renault F1 engine around 2015. Tag-Heuer put up the money and got engine naming rights with the Red Bull.

I Know! :)