F1 - 2020 - Austrian GP take 2 - Spoiler alert

FIVEDOOR

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
The qualifying results for the second consecutive weekend GP round in Austria was impacted by very heavy rain. Lewis Hamilton was impressively 1.2 seconds quicker than second place Max Verstappen.

1/ Hamilton - had a blinder lap, although the previous lap he had big moment
2/ Max Verstappen - Max had half a spin on the final lap of his qualifying run
3/ Sainz
4/ Bottas - Had glazed right hand front brake affecting his confidence.
5/ Ocon
6 Norris
7/ Albon
8/ Gasly
9/ Ricciardo
10/ Vettel
11/ Leclerc - Qualified 11th but was penalised for impeding Kvyat and will start in 14th as a result
12/ Russell - will start the Williams in 11th due to Leclerc penalty, being the highest qualifying result for Williams since 2018

13/ Stroll
14/ Kvyat
15/ Magnussen
16/ Raikkonen - was on quicker lap near the end of the Q3 session which was red flagged due to his team mates spin. He had been showing better turn of speed than last week.

17/ Perez
18/ Latifi
19/ Giovinazzi - Giovinazzi had a spin near the end of Q3 bringing out the red flag

Romain Grosjean - suffered a suspected ERS water pump failure at the start of the qualifying, which means he will start from the last position

Daniel Ricciardo had a big crash in FP2:-

And I think Norris has a 3 place penalty, putting him just behind Ricciardo, or on the same row.
What a great qualifyng it was last night! Best I can remember for a long while.
All cars lined up to get out at the beginning of qualy, making sure they get a decent lap in case the rain hits hard, then having to stay out for the whole session as speeds increased.
And Hamilton's last lap was incredible in the wet, unbelievable.
Looking forward to tonight's race. Verstappen will be quick, and how about the McLarens - hopefully Dan R. has made a good choice for next year.

Yes he does, I saw that later, I missed it earlier, or it wasn't reported in the stuff I read earlier.

Just thinking that Sainz may have made a big mistake moving to Ferrari and Daniel a good move by going to McLaren as has been improving and getting Merc engines wont hurt them either.

Last edited:
Results

1/ Hamilton - Faultless drive from flag to flag(y)

2/ Bottas - Started from 4th and after tight tussle with Verstappen passed him in the final laps to take 2nd(y)

3/ Verstappen - After chasing Hamilton for most of the race, was relegated to 3rd by Bottas in final laps

4/ Albon - Perez and Albon had a coming together towards the end of the race

5/ Norris - Passed both Racing Point cars on the last lap

6/ Perez - Perez tried overtaking Albon damaging his car, which helped Norris getting past.

7/ Stroll - (n)(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)

8/ Ricciardo - Ricciardo lost two places near the end of the race when, Troll, sorry, Stroll overtook him on the inside and forced Ricciardo of the track.

9/ Sainz - Got the fastest lap. (y)

10/ Kvyat - seems to be absent from commentary ;)

11/ Raikkonen - After qualifying in 16, to finish in 11th was a decent result(y). Kimi was caught up avoiding the Ferrari pairs accident dropping dead last, in the second corner his anti stall system activated causing some grief. Kimi was forced to save fuel for 20 laps, I have no information as to why.

12/ Magnussen
13/ Grosjean
14/ Giovinazzi
15/ Gasly
16/ Russell
17/ Latifi
18/ Ocon - DNF due to engine failure.

19/ Leclerc - DNF - Accident with Vettel. This one was Leclercs fault, dive bombed Vettel on the inside in 3rd corner of the first lap. At best it was opportunistic, the traffic was heavy and it was always going to end up in tears(n) :mallet:

20/ Vettel - DNF - Accident with team mate :rolllaugh:

Week ago Ricciardo had engine failure and last weekend it was Ocon who had engine failure. The failures have been failed welds in the cooling system. Renault have examined the parts but have not identified the cause for the failure. The parts are supplied by outside contractor.

At the post race presentation they had robots, which looked about the shape of a small bar fridge, doing the presentations.... (biting my lip)

Renault protested against the legality of racing points cars. The basis of the protest is set out here:- https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...racing-point-after.wszVnnRRpFlLF5gaqqzPb.html

Last year Racing point lodged a protest against the legality of the Renault brake system