Ex Casterton 203

Bloke from Queensland would be Maurie Kelly. Died some years ago.

vendor in Warragul was a Montagnat but i'd filed it under Tewantin before that ... no-one seems to have it for long.

Last edited:
Redex rerun car.

Basil Moran's Redex Re-Run car is advertised in Torque with the price reduced from $10000 to $7500. It's a white 1954 203A (large back window) with reco 403 motor and 505 seats. Used to be Jim O'Briens green car. It had substantial rust repairs. Michelins on 15" 403 rims. No mention of RWC. The last time I introduced a frogger to this seller he wasn't happy with the result so this is info not recommendation. 0355824233
Here's Basil's car parked at the Carotel Canberra Motel, previous to the big line up at Old Parliament House the next day on the last stages of the 2003 Redex Re-Run. We swapped post cards after a bit of a chat on how he went on the run. Apologies for the quality of images, copy of a copy from old video recording done on that day and the next.

Attachments

• Carotel Motel 2003..JPG
    Carotel Motel 2003..JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 182
  • Carotel Motel Canberra 2003.JPG
    Carotel Motel Canberra 2003.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 170
  • Basils calling card. 2003..JPG
    Basils calling card. 2003..JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
It's concerning that the blue 203 can't make the money it could twenty years ago. A comparable Holden would be saleable at four or five times that asking price. Owners of early vehicles tend to have owned the model when young or perhaps their parents owned one. Which is why general car clubs have many cars that one would think are not highly collectable. As a general statement the young have not taken up an interest in early Peugeots. Which is reflected in the declining car clubs. It's little wonder given the constant hype against the internal combustion engine that young people are turned off. Perhaps the high point of 203 restoration was the Redex Re-Run. Australia had a Peugeot importer who was actively promoting the make and its past. Rob Dommerson not only knew what a 203 was but realised the importance of the Peugeot past to reviving sales. Unlike today when we have a failing importer absolutely indifferent to the history of the make in Australia. It's not only Peugeots. The owners of early American and pre-war cars in general are nearly all white haired. There seem to be fewer 1920's models turning up at general rallies.
Many years ago nobody drove old cars in street parades. Instead there were beautifully preserved carriages, all leather and brass fittings pulled by immaculately turned out horses. What happened to them I don't know, probably some have been stored and others let to rot. But the skill to handle them has been passed to only a few. I hope early cars don't follow the same route.

I knew Maurie Kelly well back twenty odd years ago when we were both members of the Peugeot car club QLD.

I too am always astounded about the prices of old cars - especially when you compare Holden and Peugeot.

I remember selling my Aunty's 1972 Holden Kingswood that she owned from new. It was a pig to drive with a bench seat, drum brakes, heavy steering, gutless 186 and a 3 speed traumatic. It was a danger on the road. Compare that to my 1972 504, and it is chalk and cheese when it comes to comfort, safety and driveablity.

I had people fighting over the Kingswood when I went to sell it after my Aunty passed away. It was just crazy.

I know which car I would rather drive.

As I suspected. Interest in the 203 is in decline, reflected in falling values. The generation that the 203 meant something to is ageing. Interest has not been passed on to a new generation. There is a new relationship to the motor car as transport and the era of the motoring enthusiast is passing. Not only affecting Peugeots. Look at the white heads at general multi make gatherings. People are interested in old cars that they have some relationship with, some memories of. How many people wistfully recall the cars of their childhood. The old authorities who knew the tricks of a pre war Chevrolet or could describe the exhaust note of a Cottin are thinning out.
Modern life with high density housing and ferocious traffic are not an encouraging environment for older cars. But there is hope. A visiting fourteen year old expressed interest in my 203. Against my instincts I let him drive it and he drove it well. He liked it very much.