EWJ104S 307CC

PugCC

Tadpole
Tadpole
Hi. My first Peugeot - a Red 307CC, manual. It will be great to get to drive it! Rescued it from being scrapped as body and interior in excellent condition. But purchased it knowing an engine top end rebuild was required due to previous owner thinking timing belts lasted forever! Only 2 bent inlet valves, so it could have been much worse. I am having a great challenge finding all the required parts for a full head rebuild, mostly due to difference between EWJ104 and EWJ104S engine, the latter with higher output goodies. Finally have correct valves and head bolts - missing in action are the correct hydraulic lifters - these are NOT the same as the standard EW10J4 (larger diameter in S engine). Best information I can find is they are possibly from a 2.2ltr engine - is this correct? Any suggestions as to where in Aus I might find a new set of the correct lifters? The guys rebuilding the head are cursing me - 2 sets of lifters supplied so far and both wrong size! I don't really want to put re-surfaced original lifters back in as I have no idea if they are all serviceable. Any assistance greatly appreciated. Thanks

I think this would be the correct engine parts diagram, but you should check by VIN. NFP means no longer supplied. It looks like you might find them used in certain 206 and 307 and Citroen C4 VTS. You should still call a dealer and check in case there are any in stock somewhere.

1659404734973.png

I’ve fitted ew10j4s lifters in an ew10j4 head. They were the same size. This is the problem with aftermarket junk parts.

Thanks everyone for input. The correct part number did the trick - thank you David! Peugeot Aus have nil stock, as expected. At $133 each!!!! I was not going to buy anyway - especially not for 16 of them! Looks like I wait for supply ex Europe now. Just an FYI for anyone dealing with the same challenge in future... , in the case of this engine, the standard EW10J4 lifters are definitely too small - the correct ones are larger, with a 30mm diameter. Additional info - the head has VVT and larger valves than standard (apparently from a 2.2l engine), and had different head bolts to standard. Exhaust is via a proper set of headers, rather than a cast iron exhaust manifold. It seems this engine (which is original) may have been destined for turbo-charging. One day, I will get to drive this wonder of French design!

There is an online parts catalog you can use yourself to find the correct part number and then places like spareto and alvadi in the Baltics to source them.
https://catalogs.ssg.asia/peugeot/?lang=en

Compression too high in EW10J4S for turbo, it's the higher performance engine used in the 206 GTI 180 and C4 VTS that made it's way into a few 307CC.
The same treatment was done to the XU10J4R 306 XSi engine to make the XU10J4RS engine in the 306 GTi6 and Xsara VTS.

There is an online parts catalog you can use yourself to find the correct part number and then places like spareto and alvadi in the Baltics to source them.
https://catalogs.ssg.asia/peugeot/?lang=en

Compression too high in EW10J4S for turbo, it's the higher performance engine used in the 206 GTI 180 and C4 VTS that made it's way into a few 307CC.
The same treatment was done to the XU10J4R 306 XSi engine to make the XU10J4RS engine in the 306 GTi6 and Xsara VTS.
Alex - thanks heaps. Learning very fast!

The part number I listed is only found on the models mentioned. If there is some 2.2lt alternate, there must be some difference that justified PSA giving it a different part number. It may or may not make any practical difference.

The EW10J4S (RFK) intake Valves, Exhaust valves, Valve stem seals, valve half-cones and valve spring retainers are identical with EW12J4.

Personally, I wouldn't bother replacing your lifters (they are serviceable). If I were you, I would replace the affected valves, service the other parts the valves work with and mount everything back with new head gasket (identical with EW10J4).

EW12J4 engines (3FY & 3FZ) are very common. At least, you should be able to easily source and get their used valves in good conditions, if you can't find new or too expensive.

Lion-King Monk

The EW12J4 part would be 094248 and that is still supplied if necessary. There must be some difference to justify another part number, but it may not affect the function. I don't think that engine was fitted to cars sold in Australia (Edit: 407 did - there's your donor).

Last edited:
Thanks for the various pieces of information guys - the benefit of a decent forum where we can learn something. The update is that the engine has been brought back to life just yesterday. Being someone who doesn't like to revisit old ground unnecessarily, I went with all new valves, new valve guides and new lifters. I don't want to do this again any time soon, and they should be good for another 150,000+klm.

Finally got the correct lifters out of spareto in Europe - not excessively priced and arrived amazingly quick - just over a week door to door to regional NSW! Pls note that in this case the correct part number was 094255. have installed all new pulleys and tensioners, new water pump as well, and now we are set.

Now for the electrical gremlins with windows that don't work in unison with the folding roof.

Thanks again everyone for your input!