EV DS

MikeHolt

Fellow Frogger
Anyone know if this has been done in Oz? By anyone?
several EU UK examples and kits too….

There’s at least one in Sydney

He’s got a blog of the build somewhere but for reasons known only to google it can’t find it.

Hi.

That video clip has the most annoying commentators voice ever, very grating.

Cheers
Could be worse, at least he's not conducting a funeral service.😉

If there are kits for electrifying a DS, what about an XM?

If my 4HP20 transmission dies (again) I think I'd rather contribute the cost towards a more permanent solution (would also solve exhaust system problems once and for all).

But would I keep the 900+ km range?

If there are kits for electrifying a DS, what about an XM?

If my 4HP20 transmission dies (again) I think I'd rather contribute the cost towards a more permanent solution (would also solve exhaust system problems once and for all).

But would I keep the 900+ km range?
Do 900kms easy, if the battery's big enough.🙂

battery-truck.jpg

I think Aldo's electric DS is now in Italy.

I had the interesting experience of driving a Tesla and 15 mins later riding in that DS. In all honesty the DS was much more comfortable though the Tesla won hands down on performance.

Don't be put off by the traditionalists. There is a place for classic EVs. Have you got a manual? If so, then you just need a motor of the right HP, a battery that will give you the range you want, hopefully under 150km and an electronic controller.
The motor needs an adaptor to fit with the gearbox. I'm not sure what you do with an auto.
Keep dreaming, Erik

At Retromobile in February there were 2CV electric conversions on display and being sold... you can buy a completed car, or you supply your car and they will convert, or you can buy a DIY kit....

I've done a lot of research into electrifying my D Super. I have a friend who is very cluey with all the electrical systems and available batteries. The DS is one of the best classics for converting to EV. However, to get any reasonable range, say in excess of 300km, you need about 60kwhrs worth of batteries which can be stored under the back seat in place of the petrol tank, some batteries in the boot and a whole lot under the bonnet in place of the engine. You can use a hyper9 motor bolted onto the gearbox. Good for 80kw and 240nm torque. Total cost would be around $25k if you did everything yourself. So go and figure what it would cost to have it done. Not much change from $100k I would say. And it would be mostly labor.
Not being confident enough with the electrical systems and dealing with high voltage I basically dropped the idea.
There is a really good conversion done in the UK using a Hyper9 Motor. Its very nice, but again the range disappoints. You can look it up on youtube.
I personally think its a case of wait a few years for better and cheaper batteries and more motor options. It might then be more viable.

Excellent comments of real world factors
thanks everyone
there may be some for whom EV conversion is practical even now..
even given the cost and limitations.
hence my question if this has been done locally ?
imho the electric drive chain has appeal in urban driving. Where range is less important.
if a hydrogen fuel cell or similar becomes feasible as a range extender
this would reduce the need for large battery capacity
am watching this space
cheers
mike

Electrogenic in UK looks to have done a superb job but they are turn key, not selling kits for Citroen (or Triumph Stag which I am doing). They sell the standard Landrover (which are done here in Williamstown), Porsche, VW kits which are virtually plug and play. My range will only be about 200Ks as this is an around , to / from work vehicle, not a country tourer. Also at 25kgs per pack, I can add about 7 without changing suspension / weight distribution, triggering a whole new set of engineering requirements.

Mass conversion of DS is probably unlikely given the cost of acquiring a good DS in the 1st place so I wouldn't bank on a complete kit. Hardest part will be setting up the pump for the hydro etc and fabricating the gearbox adaptor plate - Canadian EV make adaptors for just about every common make of gearbox but, alas, DS is not one. The rest is very standard these days (Hyper 9 + Controller, Battery Management System, Charger, Gauges, CANBUS) and there are plenty of Tesla battery packs around.

ZeroEV (in the UK) has merged with Jaunt (in AU) to create Fellten motors. Both sell kits as well as turn key and will sell each others products in both markets as well as do training etc. They have a great library of conversions on YouTube to give you the basics. I did the Electrical Safety for EVs as I don't want to zap myself to death. They have been helpful in my project and would be on a DS. No association with them beyond being a happy customer.

Hardest part will be setting up the pump for the hydro etc and fabricating the gearbox adaptor plate
I'd just set of up the standard pump with its own motor or replace it completely with an integral aftermarket electric hydraulic pump. An adaptor plate is pretty straight forward to make.
The other thing would be to make sure the donor parts (if using factory components from a wreck) are capable of delivering full power rotating in the direction that a DS transmission rotates. Many of the factory controllers have software controlled speed limitations for when travelling in reverse, and it's not as simple as swapping + and - leads around to fix it.
If another controller or reprogamming is required, that cost would need to be factored in as well.

I did an full electric conversion to a VW Polo quite some years ago now before the NSW engineering rules changed. The simplest part was the motor to gearbox adaptor & the motor to input shaft coupling. The hardest part was getting sufficient LiFePo batteries into the vehicle in such a manner as to be safe, not affect number of passengers or boot space, keeping the total mass similar to original & keeping the front to rear weight distribution similar.
The Polo had power steering & I used a Toyota Supra electric power steering pump to power it. I even made it speed sensitive. Car had heating & air conditioning with a usable range of about 150km.
Couldn't do it now though. The NSW VCSSC engineering rules have made it crazy expensive to get any one off modification certified.
Over the years I have done 4 vehicles that needed engineering certification so I have had a little bit of experience.

The Hyper 9 motor with SME controller is easily configured to spin in reverse with simple software settings in the Smartview interface. The beauty of the Hyper motor is that it operates at 120-144v depending which system you get. This is comparatively low voltage to new EV’s which are rolling out with 400v and as much as 800v to enable fast charging.

A converted VW Kombi with 53kWh battery gets enough range to drive all day around town. On the highway the range drops significantly. A DS with better aerodynamic efficiency and less weight would probably get 300km highway range with 60kWh. That doesn’t seem usable but in reality it is for most usage. We tend to exaggerate our need for long ranges, of course there’s always exceptions.

I’m currently exploring options for a 22kW charging system that would make a DS conversion more effective. Even if many wouldn’t see stopping for an hour to charge every two hours of highway driving as very effective.

Still I think I might start with my GS, weighing 300kg less than a DS, with less hydraulic power needed (no power steering), and an even more aerodynamic design. The problem is that I really love the GS flat 4, except my GS needs a complete engine overhaul. The exhaust even broke apart last time I drove it and the fuel filler pipe leaks fuel every time it gets a top up. Cheaper and probably easier to restore, however with a 120hp electric motor (effectively double the power), it would still be a load of fun.

IMG_0060.jpeg