Esplanada!

Ray Bell

Fellow Frogger
I know, I know... the Simca Vedette has kind of taken up more than its share of space in this new section of the forum, but I think this Explanada and its ohv V8 engine might be worth talking about.

So this thread is for Esplanada talk... which Vedette owners out there have got ideas of bringing in one of these engines? Surely they'd be cheap as chips in Brazil?

Just to bring this up to date... these pics were found on the other thread, but they need to be here:

This is the heart of the Esplanada... a hemi-head pushrod OHV conversion based on the Ardun conversions that were made in the USA in the late forties and early fifties.

A bit more detail just showed up on a Mopar site...

Originally posted by Emi-Sul

Yes its true ARDUN made heads for BOTH the big and little flatheads
...But they only made about 30 pr for the V8-60s. The ARDUNs for the V8-60 have a odd 3 pushrod per cylinder valvetrain that limited its RPM range.

The Brazilian engine is a very well designed piece, NO intake or exhaust ports in the block,and beefed up main webbing. The heads are well designed,good size/shape ports... too bad nobody made any HiPerf parts for it!

The Esplanada (and all other SIMCA models) ended production in 1969.
In 1970 Chrysler of Brazil started production of the Dodge Dart vehicle.

Besides having the Emi-Sul engine and spare parts.....I have TONS of pics,I also have the CHRYSLER PARTS CATALOG,and a MOTORS manual, some advertisements,etc...

James

This means that the block was totally redesigned and that the heads were unique. It would surely be lighter, too, as thinwall casting was well and truly in vogue by 1966. Particularly interesting about the Ardun heads having a third pushrod per cylinder (a la BMW/Bristol) in their V8-60 heads.

Nobody had a go at translating that other page, by the way...

Ray Bell said:
By the way, can anyone translate this site?

http://djjaragua.vilabol.uol.com.br/chrysler.htm

That pic seems to be the last of the Esplanada line... very Chevy II looking, I thought.

And would Vedette owners be envious of it's 4-speed box? I would have thought Vedettes were 3-speed...
How much do you want translated- THis is Babelfish translation
This is intro after tech specs.
Launched in 1966, the Esplanade could simply be described as a Simca Chambord with the front and the back completely redesigned, what it more than gave a little to it supervened. The motor one was another one: it abandoned the lateral valves for the modern conception of hemisféricas combustion chambers and valves in the headstocks. Two years later, were launched the deloused Regent and esportiva GTX. This version came with individual front banks, radial tires, exchange of four marches, projection of three rays and the black bands in would carroceria.

Emi-sul

Does Anyone Know Were I Can Buy An Emi-sul Motor In The Usa? I Have An Orginal Ford Flathead V8-60. This Little Ohv Hemi Looks Really Cool. Thanks Joe Kelley

Ray Bell

I got all excited thinking Ray was back.:disappr: I came onto AF after Ray had gone, but after seeing so many of his posts, I really miss the guy. Will he ever be back?