Engine fault:Repair required

Pugbear

Tadpole
My Pug 308(2010) with 80k on the odo is giving the Engine Fault:repair required alarm.This usually happens during cold starts.If I do about half an hour drive restart the engine it does not come on.An OBD scan gave fault code as P0016 :Cam/Crankshaft Pos. Correlation sensor A-Bank 1.The engine runs smoothly with normal power and fuel consumption.Any thoughts what is triggering the fault given it is not affecting performance?Timing chain was replaced about 3 years ago.

Does it need an oil change and/or has it had regular changes? I think the cam timing gizmos work off oil pressure and with cold oil combined with a bit of gunge it may be causing this issue so once the oil's warm it's not happening. I could be wrong of course. I'm sure our resident Pug tech will be along soon though.

Need to check the cam timing

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
Fix it right the first time

Agreed, check the camshaft timing. The code is saying that the camshaft position sensor is giving a result at odds with the crankshaft sensor. The camshaft is variably phased by an oil operated device on the chain wheel.

Oil as mentioned above could be the culprit if a blockage affected the phasing.

Was there a conclusion to this issue? I'm having the exact same problem as described by the op.

I've only recently purchased the car and noticed that the last oil change was almost 2 years ago but only approx. 4k kms.

The oil is very dirty /black for a Petrol car ( my 20 year old corolla has fresher looking oil on more kms)
It is going into the mechanic on Friday to get checked so I'll get the oil change done at the same time.

Regular oil change with correct grade approx 10k max
Check timing and check when timing chain replaced. Dealer should have replaced the original by now. How many kms on the clock?

Regular oil change with correct grade approx 10k max
Check timing and check when timing chain replaced. Dealer should have replaced the original by now. How many kms on the clock?
It's always been serviced on 10k
the current oil is on about 6k but I have noticed that the most recent oil change is almost 2 years ago so that will be rectified tomorrow.

77k kms on the clock and is a 2011, I have no idea if the chain has been replaced. Any idea of how I find out?

It was owned by an older couple in a country town so I reckon it has spent some time doing fairly short trips. I would love to get the walnut blasting done but can't find anywhere in melbourne.

If the chain was replaced at factory expense there will be a computer record, and any dealer can look it up

Walnut blasting certainly works, but isn't essential. My engine intake was cleaned out by softening and scraping with a tool and a mirror. There is a day's labour all up involved, probably with an overnight solvent soaking

If the chain was replaced at factory expense there will be a computer record, and any dealer can look it up

Walnut blasting certainly works, but isn't essential. My engine intake was cleaned out by softening and scraping with a tool and a mirror. There is a day's labour all up involved, probably with an overnight solvent soaking
Thanks for that, I'll give one of them a call tomorrow and see if they can track anything down
If it hasn't been changed, what are the chances of peugeot contributing to a replacement given that the car is 10 years old? Worth asking them i suppose

Coming up with turbo cooling pump error code and p0016 camshaft/crankshaft out of sync. Mechanic is not sure which one is keeping the engine light on but starting with the turbo pump, and checking the timing at the same time. He believes it might just be the tensioner is gone and not that the chain has stretched. Will know more when he checks the timing.

Thanks to all who commented. And just to provide a conclusion:
I've had the turbo coolant pump replaced, so that fault is gone.
When they put the timing tools on the shafts, the tools where approx. 10mm off/ Gap.
So they reset the timing
And car has been serviced.

The faults are gone and haven't reappeared, just resetting the timing seems to be a cheap/quick fix but they were confident that the chain hasn't stretched, so I'm happy enough with that.