engine conversion for 504

4fan

Fellow Frogger
hey guys, i need some guidance as to what engine to put into my 504???. Here are the criteria. Definitely NO 8's, maybe a 6 preferrably a 4. OHC (x2???) Must have fuel injection. Turbo. At the moment, my mind is thinking 13B Turbo does anyone have experience with this engine (good or bad) and more importantly experience with this engine in a 504. Mmmmmm 13B T powered 504. Droooooooooooooooooool

A friend of mine has a 13B turbo RX7 series 4. I've noticed that his RX7 weighs about 60kg more than my 504, so a 13B turbo in a 504 would go pretty well.

I had a ride in another friends RX7 series 3 with a 12A turbo, a few weeks ago. Man, than car flys!

Have you checked out my 504/505 modification website?
It's address is:
http://www.geocities.com/davemcbean/fiveohsindex.html?997061496590

I think a Nissan SR20 turbo from a Nissan 200SX would suit the 504 well, because the 504 is a similar size and supension design to the 200SX. The 504 is also 50kg or so lighter than a 200SX.

Regards,
Dave

4fan,

13b turbo rotary would make a good conversion (series4Turbo is the one to buy)
Or as dave mentioned nissan sr20 is a nice reliable all alloy engine.
If u like rotarys they give great weight distrubution as they r a great compact motor and they fly.
A six would not be great for weight distrubution unless you get a light toyota 2.0 litre turbo six.
If u dont care about weight distrubution you could fit anything that fits.

Murat

Murat, why the series 4 13B. I was thinking the S5 as it had a few mods straight from the box making 153kw, 270Nm (flywheel) compared to the S4 138kw, 245Nm. I thought if i would use the RX4 sump and oil pick up it would fit nicley in the gap between the suspension assembley and cross member. Have to get the ol' tape measure out and see so i know for sure..... what is giving me a headache (no matter what engine i fit) is gearbox to diff connection. I know people have fitted other engines so someone MUST know. I heard the torque tube should be fitted so the diff doesn't misbehave. On a completely unrelated matter.... An open invitation, If someones idea of fun is to rub back a 504 with wet and dry.. you are more than welcome to my house on the w/ends
smile.gif

While I am dead set against this transplant and feel you will have clearance problems with the crossmember and rack, I think you can get around the gearbox/'link tube' issue fairly easily.

Cut or cast a piece of alloy block about an inch thick, machine it to be a neat fit over the flange on the rear of the box and detail it to fit the link tube. You will have to shorten the link tube and the tail shaft, at which time you machine a Mazda yoke to fit on the tail shaft and weld it in place... balance the shaft after that.

To keep the block rigid on the rear housing, you'll need to either weld it on (if the housing is strong enough, or maybe weld it and brace it with ribs up the housing a ways) or make a steel frame that holds it firmly in place top, bottom and sides bolted to the main housing somewhere...

Ray, why are you dead against it, is it just the clearance problems or other things also??? I haven't completely made my mind up about the 13B, what other suggestions do you have

i want something with a turbo, the theory is supposed to be drivability with some balls. I would like to shy away from "larger" engines

4fan,

Sorry i did mean the series v not the 4
But i think they cost a bit more like
about $400 i think.
Its agood idea theres plenty motors around
Nothing like a nice turbo engine.

Murat

I concur with Ray's suggestion for machining a block of alloy to slip over the rear of the gearbox extension housing, etc. It's exactly what I would suggest. I've seen a similar thing done before with a Toyota Celica gearbox and it seemed to work quite well.

Just as a matter of interest, people have got some pretty reasonable power figures from turboing the 504 2 litre engine (up to 240hp) with fairly good reliability, although it would take a bit to iron the bugs out, and the Government probably wouldn't like it, unless it ran on LPG.

I don't think you can beat the Nissan SR20 Turbo. It's reliable and fuss free, and is a nice size and weight for the 504. I like rotaries too, but I just think I'd personally go with the SR20 (providing the cost is right).

Dave

Thanks for the info everyone. I'll think about the SR20 but ultimately I would preffer the 13B. I'll have to get the tape measure out and see if it WILL actually fit. If it won't fit... it won't fit.

Hey

R4fan no doubt about it go for the SR or a FJ Or even go a CA18DET Nissan Make great 4pot performance donks. I was looking at doing something like that in my R17 but then decided would be a waste of time. If your going to do something like that ya want rear wheel drive, and the 504 has it.
My mate has a 180B SSS with a jap spec S14 180KW unit in it, and it is bloody unreal!
When it was a stock SR20DET it ran a 12.87 out at Willowbank which is pretty bloody impressive Although now would be a different story as he has a bigger hairdryer on it, and a few other different bits and pieces. Best of all the thing looks stock.

Ya can pick up SR's FJ's and CA's pretty cheep if ya go to the right places.

Ash