engine blown??

matty

Fellow Frogger
Hi,

Just got to work after walking 500m because something went wrong with the ol' Mi-16 today. Took of from the lights and wound her out to about 5000-6000 rpm when a rather large bang or two came from the car. They seemed to come out of the tail pipe. It then coughed and spluttered to a stop abd will not start... Does this sound like I have blown a head ???

This well be expensive to fix???

More likely a cam belt eek! which effectively means the head is going to have to come off in any case and you can look forward to bent valves and hope that's all.
It has been known for camshafts to snap but not all that common on a 16V
First step is to take a compression test. Before doing this, remove the top section of the cambelt cover & have a look at the belt. If it's intact then you can only hope you haven't ripped a pile of teeth off it.
Either way, things don't sound real good. :( :( :mad:

Alan S

Matty, if the engine was still turning over OK it MAY be some sort of total failure in the ignition system (either the timing or simply coil failure starting with a huge backfire). Hopefully...

Stuey

I broke my cambelt years ago, just spluttered to a halt whilst idling. The engine wouldnt turn at all after that and i kept the valve that got bent the most which sits like a trophy in my garage :D

"and wound her out to about 5000-6000 rpm when a rather large bang or two came from the car. They seemed to come out of the tail pipe. It then coughed and spluttered to a stop abd will not start..."

"I broke my cambelt years ago, just spluttered to a halt whilst idling. The engine wouldnt turn at all after that"

Viva la differa'nce
At 900 rpm valves bend a bit & pistons stop - at 5 - 6 grand valves bend a lot as well as other things which I don't intend expanding on & giving people nightmares about eek! blush dead disappro
I hope you're right & I'm wrong but no point in building false hopes.

Alan S

Merely quoting personal story on broken cambelt. Dosent take an expert to diagnose that more damage is done at 6000 rpm than at 900 rpm in snapping a cambelt. Don't blame you anyway for getting your knickers in twist when your pride and joys off the road

So Matty,

did you change the cambelt while you were there :confused: No point waiting for it to break... Seems to happen almost weekly on the BX lists (same motor)

seeya,
Shane L.

nah,

have it booked in next month to do so..
I had to get my car back and the parts/work was going to take to long...

In my job if you are with out a car you are stuffed...

btw,

While I was off the road for a few days I drove many other cars. I either borrowed them off friends and family or hired one.

they included...

323 bmw
VX Commadore
TX 4x4 Turbo Laser...

I can tell you that getting back in the MI16 was a dream... They really are great cars to drive

Dave,

You are definitely correct there!! I've recently had a week in a Toyota Echo, to make it worse the automatic version.

Great for dashboard cubby holes, especially compared with our 306, but that was about all. Oh, and it didn't stop running, but my R8 doesn't either.

The name took me a while to understand. Now we all know that an echo is when sound bounces off things. What does a car called Echo do??? You can't see it bouncing though, because that wonderful cubby-holed dash occupies most of the windscreen with its reflection, which is of course light bouncing (echoing) off the glass.....

They'll sell well. Easy to drive and called "Toyota".

Back to the R8, what a pleasure.

Cheers

JohnW