Enduro Karting...anybody doing it?

dvr

Fellow Frogger
As per the title, what experiences and advice is there, ie if anybody has been or is still involved in go-karting.

Expect lots of Bruises, a few blisters, a really hard workout, remember to look a few corners ahead, think quick and react fast.

And make sure your car can go the distance. I don't know much (or anything) about karts but I have run a few enduro races at our RC club and by far the most common problem is not actually finishing because of reliability problems.

Awesome fun, really gives you a workout. You will need to be somewhat fit to get the most out of it and literally be strong enough to control the kart towards the end. Buy a good set of rib protectors as you will crack, bruise your ribs and blister your hands if your fresh at it.
Loads of fun, get into it!

I see there are three categories in NSW. TEKA with twin Briggs, Seka with twin Hondas and 4SKA with single Briggs. The first two classes have dedicated twin rail chassis but the last is a normal single rail so easier to buy and sell secondhand. Each category is keen, of course, to recruit new members. My mate and I have done it several times many many years ago on an "arrive and drive" basis but now we're thinking of getting our own kart and involving our kids in the team. Just don't know which category to go for so hoping to get unbiased opinions and recommendations.

Depending on the age of the kids, sprint karts may be worth considerations also. I had a ball with sprint karts years ago, not as fast, but still ton of fun on a tighter tracks

Well we did it.

Our first race, 7 hours for four drivers. Started last and came 28th out of 38. Pleased with that. With 38 karts spread over a 1k track length, it was hectic. But so much fun. Our stints were around 35mins each and by the time a driver change came we were knackered. But an hour and half later, re-energised and keen to get amongst it again.

Can highly recommend enduro karting and by sharing the kart with others, much easier on the pocket and workload.

Well we did it.

Our first race, 7 hours for four drivers. Started last and came 28th out of 38. Pleased with that. With 38 karts spread over a 1k track length, it was hectic. But so much fun. Our stints were around 35mins each and by the time a driver change came we were knackered. But an hour and half later, re-energised and keen to get amongst it again.

Can highly recommend enduro karting and by sharing the kart with others, much easier on the pocket and workload.
Which type of kart did you end up purchasing? Good move to choose a category where more than one driver can enter, so costs can be shared, I haven't been aware of this category. My mate is still running a Super Kart but that would be a different kettle of fish again. I'll look them up for information (not to compete!). Any photos of the event?
The enduro with shared drivers makes it doable from the driver exhaustion point of view, was it mandatory to have more than one driver?
Cheers.

We joined http://4skansw.com.au/

I think there were a min of three drivers for this event. I've heard that two drivers is ok for a four hour race but they don't do them anymore I believe. There's a compulsory 11 stops including 3 for fuel (no driver change permitted at fuel stops), 60sec min stop time and no driver in kart for more than 60mins at a time. Min weight 175k's (we started last because we were 400gms under weight at the qualifying weigh in.

We bought a 4 year old CRG Kalifornia and a brand new Briggs motor. So cheap compared to when I raced cars. And very easy to get plenty of private days practice at EC, Butterfly Farm and Picton tracks. Sometimes we have the track virtually to ourselves for the day. As for learning how to fine tune a kart, it's totally different to setting up a car. Harder in a way because there are so many variables. Basically the front works like a car and the rear like a bike needing to create lift on the inside rear wheel, but not too soon and not too long.

Photos here: https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...&key=bXBVWGQyV1hzd2hMOG44Ri1hSUotQkNOVmdTRWR3