Enamel /ceramic header

RINGER

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Hi guys,
Painted mine with a good US brand hi temp paint, after sand blasting.
Lasted a few weeks & flaked off.
Anyone had ENAMEL or CERAMIC done?
Picture/s & was it worthwhile?
How much & how long did it take?
Anyone doing this near Brisbane or Gold Coast, please.
Thanks JG.

Yep - had a set of custom pie cut / mandel bent headers ceramic coated at Hi Octane Performance Coatings - https://performancecoating.com.au/

I was a bit dubious about the shiny 'chrome' finish but after 12 months use on the car they still looked like new so I couldn't really fault it. They were pretty quick to process - about a week from memory. Never did do a before and after temp test though. I've got pics somewhere I'll try and track down.

Cheers

Justin

Could only find this pic at the moment. Right hand section is the ceramic coated section - left hand section is plain jane pipe.......Of course the best thing to do is to ping the company and talk through your requirements with them. You'll get a better idea of the price directly from them.

IMG_20210319_160151828 resize.jpg

Cheers

Justin

Found another pic after they'd been in use about 8 months.....Less of a chrome look and more of an anodised silver - but possibly a little dirty in this pic and still quite shiny.

IMG_20220627_211643_01resize.jpg

Cheers

Justin

Hi guys,
Thanks JG.
A mate of mine got his 32 Ford coupe's 454 headers and dual exhaust ceramic coated in Brisbane. Only two mufflers and not a whole lot of pipe (32 Ford's aren't that long) cost him $2K.
Looks pretty good and hasn't changed much in appearance (he had it done a couple of years ago)
I think to get a set extractors creamic coated costs about the same as what the extractors themselves cost to buy (new).

OK I found an old time place in Archerfield:
Competition Coatings Qld.
Unit 1/14 Rodwell Street, ARCHERFIELD 4108 - 07 32779123 or 0417641123
Header for R16 crossflow <$200 silver, black is less. JG.

Last edited:
3EAAAA37-A0E5-4F0B-8D4B-29A67A68FBF1.jpeg

These are 3rd hand and are off a race car so my anecdotal evidence is that ceramic coating is pretty durable.

I would say that's a good price.
If you tick the option box for ceramic coating on a set of V8 Hurricane Headers it's $600 extra. . That's on a new set of pipes so no sandblasting etc is required either

Very durable, i have it on the gti6 headers, supposedly cuts approx 20% heat nut still scaldingly hot. look the goods. Thats the mob i used, nice work.

I had my turbo manifold, turbine housing and downpipe ceramic coated recently. $600 from CompCoat, Sth Granville. I think there was a choice of four colours from memory.

Attachments

• IMG_9610 small.jpg
    IMG_9610 small.jpg
    625.5 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_9611 small.jpg
    IMG_9611 small.jpg
    577.7 KB · Views: 90
Hi guys,
Thanks JG.
I think I have used the same brand paint on mine and 10 years later in daily use it still looks great (matt grey). I had the manifold sandblasted before and I painted it straight away. It's not a ceramic coating but at least the manifold is not rusty. Cost the price of a rattle can. I think they say it is an enamel and it cures with the exhaust heat.

I have had a number of pipes done by this company over many years. The shiny silver coating will go to a dull grey if overheated, usually on a dyno with a lack of airflow. This doesn't seem to damage the effectiveness of the coating only the appearance. There is a higher temp black coating available.
I found having the pipes coated on my BMW2002, meant that when I opened the bonnet after being on track, my face was not fried off as in the past, and the floor temp was bearable.

Wow - haven't seen a 4-into-1 for a while. I'm guessing space is tight. Should give nice top end ! Price seems about right.

Cheers

Justin

Made by Brad Lovett [Carline] Burleigh Qld.
807-11 & 4 speed fitted to my 1949 Light 15 narrow daily driver. JG

Going to all this trouble seems a waste of time unless you also get the tubing mandrel bent for a smooth finish
mandrel.jpg