Electric vehicle information:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it possible to post anything of value & cease addressing with habitual personal animus?

Is it possible to post anything of value & cease addressing with habitual personal animus?

Mate, I was simply pointing out to Haakon that perhaps Ando is not any more the master of cryptography than you or I are.

Obviously that example, even referenced in “Who Killed Roger Rabbit?”, if that’s more accessible.
Michelin, too, but more generally and to the advantage of a wide range of stakeholders, EV and to some degree steam was not preferenced.
The same problems - range and accessible recharge - were inconvenient and could not compete with burgeoning oil cartels.

This is not a little thing - do you really trust Australians to build and safely run a nuke? I don’t…

Hehehehe.

Why not? She'll be right, mate?

I don't see why not. Our problem however is that we don't really have the readily available sources of water for cooling the other nations have.

Obviously that example, even referenced in “Who Killed Roger Rabbit?”, if that’s more accessible.
Michelin, too, but more generally and to the advantage of a wide range of stakeholders, EV and to some degree steam was not preferenced.
The same problems - range and accessible recharge - were inconvenient and could not compete with burgeoning oil cartels.
Ok so you are saying that EVs were "not preferenced" 110 years ago?

I don't see why not. Our problem however is that we don't really have the readily available sources of water for cooling the other nations have.
We have 34,000km of coastline. I believe there is quite a bit of water there.

We have 34,000km of coastline. I believe there is quite a bit of water there.
With nuclear power we could have enough cheap desal freshwater to irrigate the continent & feed the world.
Off topic I know, but interesting concept.

With nuclear power we could have enough cheap desal freshwater to irrigate the continent & feed the world.
Off topic I know, but interesting concept.

We await the world's first nuclear fusion plant with great anticipation. It may well be the secret of eternal life for the human race.

Please, without copping flak, wouldn't the sheer price difference 110 years ago between IC cars and EV and steam powered cars be a big factor in the IC becoming dominant? A Stanley Steamer cost 6 times more than a Model T. The cheapest EV was around 3 times the price of a new Ford.

The cheapest EV in Australia is made by the same company as the cheapest IC car. They are both the best selling cars in their respective classes

The IC car's sales outstrip the EVs by a country mile. If they were the same price, or even close, I'm sure things would be different.
Sh#t I'd buy the EV myself, but nearly $27K difference buys a lot of petrol after all.
Based on the price of fuel where I am, and the claimed economy figure for the MG3, 298,000 kms worth to be exact.

The success of any commodity comes down to the consumer.
McDonald's certainly don't make the best food in the world but it's pretty cheap and fit for purpose: a bit like the Model T was all those years ago.

Hehehehe.

Why not? She'll be right, mate?

I was staying out of this..... We've run a high energy reactor at Lucas Heights for decades to the point where the suburbs have spread around it. It would be a slow business, should anyone feel like coughing up the billions, given the community resistance, approvals processes and availability of competent contractors. I don't remotely believe the "5-10 years is possible" argument. A few years ago, there was only one foundry on the planet (in Japan) capable of building reactor caps, and the wait for one of those is an issue in itself, once you have decided what capacity you build.

My first car was a Morris Minor 1000, with the mighty 948cc A series.💪

80mph flat biscuit if you were patient enough.
Being a young guy it soon became clear a performance upgrade was needed.👍

Off with its head, got it shaved 0.40". Picked up some twin SUs and a set of extractors, fitted a 2" sports system.
Turned the torsion bars down a couple of splines, put some lowering blocks in the back and made a front spoiler; so now it would slice through the air like a hot knife through butter. 🔪

Fired her up, time to feel the Gs.
80mph flat biscuit if you were patient enough.🙄

Traded it straiģht in on a Renault 16TS which was like an F111 compared to to the poor old Morry.🛩

My first car was a Morris Minor 1000, with the mighty 948cc A series.💪

80mph flat biscuit if you were patient enough.
Being a young guy it soon became clear a performance upgrade was needed.👍

Off with its head, got it shaved 0.40". Picked up some twin SUs and a set of extractors, fitted a 2" sports system.
Turned the torsion bars down a couple of splines, put some lowering blocks in the back and made a front spoiler; so now it would slice through the air like a hot knife through butter. 🔪

Fired her up, time to feel the Gs.
80mph flat biscuit if you were patient enough.🙄

Traded it straiģht in on a Renault 16TS which was like an F111 compared to to the poor old Morry.🛩
How did the Morris big ends behave?

I had no problems with it, it had Smiths oil and temp gauges in it when I got it. Oil pressure was 40 or 45 psi hot from memory. It was still buzzing at around locally for years after I traded it in.

I just realised I posted this in the wrong thread, sorry guys. The Morry did have electric starter and wiper motors though, does that count?😉

I was staying out of this..... We've run a high energy reactor at Lucas Heights for decades to the point where the suburbs have spread around it. It would be a slow business, should anyone feel like coughing up the billions, given the community resistance, approvals processes and availability of competent contractors. I don't remotely believe the "5-10 years is possible" argument. A few years ago, there was only one foundry on the planet (in Japan) capable of building reactor caps, and the wait for one of those is an issue in itself, once you have decided what capacity you build.
John,
Nuclear power and EV's are off topic on this website however for the record I have devoted the last decade to the pursuit of nuclear energy for Australia to address climate change.
There are at least five foundaries capable of making heat exchangers and reactor pressure vessels for large nuclear power plants. They are located in France, Russia, China, Japan and South Korea. There are many more if we use smaller nuclear power plants.
Yes, there is opposition in Australia but that occurs in many places. For the record, the fastest period of construction for a nuclear power plant was in Japan where they built a boiling water NPP in 36 months. The UAE went for start of consideration to completion of four plants at Barakah from 2009 to near completion in 2021. That's 5.6GW of power or about a quarter of our coal fleet.

Status
Not open for further replies.