Electric power steering in an r12.

Peter J Kent

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
G'day all I'm pondering the idea of fitting an electric power steering column in our r12 hill climb car,it runs a 1640 with twin 40's and is using 205 semi slicks, as they are fairly heavy in the steering with stock wheels I thought this might make it a bit easier, Any thoughts?

Yep been pondering this idea for my R12 wagon project as well. My thoughts were and early Renault Clio EPAS as the Clio and R12 are about the same weight.

The only issues I see are grafting the Clio EPAS into the R12 steering column.

There are pictures on the interweb of an R16 & R17 being converted.

For what its worth Alby did Fuego Power Steering on an R17. I'm sure he'd pass on his learnings
Cheers...Paul

I have chatted to a Jaguar Mk II owner & Citroen Traction Avant owner who'd fitted kits. Both seemed well pleased with the outcome. As it's electric, it'd be nice if it had, or could be made to have, control over assistance level via an nice knob somewhere.

I have chatted to a Jaguar Mk II owner & Citroen Traction Avant owner who'd fitted kits. Both seemed well pleased with the outcome. As it's electric, it'd be nice if it had, or could be made to have, control over assistance level via an nice knob somewhere.
Yep there are kits available like this one on Ebay