ECU swap between 1.8 auto (1999) and 1.8 manual (1998) 306's

KiwiStyles

Fellow Frogger
So my wee Auto Pug 306 has given upon multiple occasions, been given a bit of concrete and told to carry on.
She has now given up permanently in spectacular fashion.
So.. I have a 1.8 manual (1998) which I haven't had going due to immobilizer issues which I never sorted out..
Now that I have a spare working ECU and immobilizer from my auto wreck what do I need to know about swapping these over in order to attempt to get the manual beast running again?
Can I just swap the ECU and immobilizer unit as well as key transponder and go for it?
Does anything need to be swapped around or messed with in terms of wiring or other french shenanigans?
As far as I'm aware the immobilizer unit is under the ash tray under the console etc Basically I want to swap these over and just want to make sure I actually know what I'm doing before it unsurprisingly doesn't work :'P

I’m assuming that both the cars are twin cam 1.8s these don’t need the immobiliser swapped they just need to be unplugged unlocked if that makes sense you need to make sure the part numbers are the same the should be on the label on the part but if not I can check if you have the vins

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
Fix it right the first time

I'll get the Vins for you tomorrow just to be sure!
Unplugged unlocked does that mean having in this case the auto car running for long enough to unplug the ECU while it's still running? Obviously researched a bit on this but haven't quite put it into practice.
Nothing to do with key transponders etc needs to be swapped over?

Awesome thanks for the help so far. I'm sure I can keep her running spitting all sorts of good stuff long enough to make the ECU viable.

Will the Auto being a single cam Versus the Manual being twin cam make this still viable somehow/

Vin for the manual one accepting the ECU: VF37ALFYE32228790
Vin for the automatic donor:
VF37CLFZP32510066

Last edited:
Should hopefully have time to crack into this either this afternoon or tomorrow. Assuming what I have is actually viable for the job hopefully those VIN's there are enough to figure it out.

Given, as you say, that the manual is 16v and the auto 8v, and that the engine ECUs have different part numbers - 193862 for the manual, 19296F for the auto - then I'd be surprised if this was going to be straightforward.

The auto ECU is a Magnetti Marelli, while the manual one is, I believe, a Sagem.

Cheers

Alec

Don’t swap them totally different you could pop something inside

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
Fix it right the first time