Ebay freight charges. $365 for trimmer foam filter from Italy. Crazy.

Ebay doesn't charge freight - Ebay quotes it and the seller charges it. It's just bad AI by Ebay.

Contact the seller and point it out - I bet they dont even realise what postage is being quoted.

I looked at buying a pair of boots from Canada - the Ebay listing was quoting $280 post. I pinged the seller and simply asked them to check what Ebay was estimating - they quickly dropped the postage to $90.

Unfortunately Ebay isn't what it used to be - big business has destroyed Pierre Omidyar's dream of the world wide garage sale, and as we all know, once big business takes over there are very people left to listen who know what's going on at the coal face.

Simple communication should get you a better result.

Cheers

Justin

Pierre Omidyar only left eBay in 2020, by then a large public company. It probably then took all his time to count his money.

Just buy a sheet of filter foam and cut the filter out. Last time I needed a foam filter I bought a big square of it. It'll be handy for anything that needs a filter (especially if you buy the filter oil).

https://www.uniflow.com.au/contents/en-us/d406_Foam-Sheet.html

You can use it in all your cars that have re-oilable filters fitted.

How is filter foam different to other foam, like upholstery?
For at least 10 years my lawn mower has had a bit of foam that I cut from an old mattress. And I'm in a pretty dusty environment.

Specific inlet filter foam does not generally react or dissolve when it is exposed to fuel vapour around the air inlet. The foam from your old mattress clearly had some "special" additives which created a hybrid material with properties similar to filter foam.
Good work there! Hope you saved some of that special mattress foam.

Some mattresses (and older car seat foams e.g. 1960's Jag), often the more expensive ones, will be foamed Latex rubber, so it was probably a flexible urethane foam. Try a Latex glove in fuel. Density varies a lot, even in the different grades cobbled together in a mattress or chair, as will whether it is closed cell or not. So, in general, a mattress foam is probably not the best option for an air filter, but if it works ... . K&N sell some blocks of foam for certain applications (e.g. KN 85-2003) if you want to buy a dedicated filter foam that you can cut down and have a good chance of lasting.

eBay postage is often odd, so it never hurts to ask. Remember that a light and bulky item will normally be calculated on some cubic weight measure, not the dead weight.

I buy sheets of Unifilter air cleaner foam, very cost effective a local Australian company and cheap delivery. Use it in all the performance cars, offcuts are very handy for the mowers, fire pump, log splitter and wood chipper.

TRI715.jpg

TRIB5E9.jpg

TRI61E.jpg

TRIBF72.jpg

Bruce Tayler once published an article in Torque explaining the inferior nature of foam as an air filter element. Cheap and nasty. Paper is better, particularly with an outer filter of a synthetic wool type material wrapped around the paper, but the oil bath was best.

It all depends on how much airflow you are chasing. Some of the race cars I drive have no air filter.
Usually the most expensive engines with performance the only objective.

Those are nice little filters on the carbs, where did they come from? Just to keep this on post, yes foam is not as good sadly.

The filters are made by me from foam supplied by Unifilter, the Aussie company mentioned above.
Paper is not as good on a performance engine, depends what you want to use the car for.

I suppose it's what you use them for. I'm used to demanding applications where two stage air filters are an advantage.