Early vs Late Mi16's - School Me

On the front of the block near the starter motor.

I can't see why Peugeot built the Mi16x4? [/I]

Peugeot built 3 different AWD models. There was the GLx4, the Mi16x4, and the T16. They were not always going for the performance end of the market.

As has been suggested, it would be reasonable to assume that it was for adverse driving conditions, of which there are plenty in France. It was not as if it was on steriods with increased clearance, just for traction, maybe taking a leaf out of Subaru's book - not that there were many of them around at that time.

Having said all that, to load up a base model with heavy and expensive equipment that might be of use for a limited time was not really a strategic marketing move, it would be interesting to find out the sales numbers. I never saw all that many of them in the years I spent there.

Don't forget that Citroen did the same thing with their BX model, from which the rear suspension came for the 405x4.

At the time Peugeot was still competing here and there and sent the 405T16 to Dakar, which it won twice if I remember correctly.

The Euro market doesn't really need AWD vehicles. For resonably bad conditions they use snow ploughs and for really bad conditions they use public transport. Not sure what the role of the Mi16x4 was, maybe a market test?

Peugeot built 3 different AWD models. There was the GLx4, the Mi16x4, and the T16. They were not always going for the performance end of the market.

Don't forget that Citroen did the same thing with their BX model, from which the rear suspension came for the 405x4.

The GLx4 & SRx4 have lockable centre and rear diffs. Whereas the Mi16x4 and T16 have viscous centre diff and Torsen rear diff from the 505. The T16 transfer case is beefed up to handle more torque. The self leveling rear suspension is otherwise all BX, except for the electric pump.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-10-04 at 1.09.44 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2019-10-04 at 1.09.44 pm.png
    280.1 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
At the time Peugeot was still competing here and there and sent the 405T16 to Dakar, which it won twice if I remember correctly.

The Euro market doesn't really need AWD vehicles. For resonably bad conditions they use snow ploughs and for really bad conditions they use public transport. Not sure what the role of the Mi16x4 was, maybe a market test?

They entered 405 coupe style bodies on 205 T16 competition mechanicals for Dakar and Pikes Peak. Not 405 T16s.

Depends on the part of Europe, but for Finland they are certainly handy. Not all roads are ploughed by Councils (many side roads are done by private contractors usually once a day) and in continuous snow fall it doesn't take long before the roads have a snow blanket. Winter of 2010 I drove in fresh 10 cm snow on several occasions and even in Helsinki the snow clearing wasn't keeping up with the falls and getting in and out of properties not on main roads was problematic. Front wheel drives seemed to fare better than rear wheel drives, but all wheel drive would have been a decided advantage, as would have bit more ground clearance as in a SUV type vehicle.

Depends on the part of Europe, but for Finland they are certainly handy. Not all roads are ploughed by Councils (many side roads are done by private contractors usually once a day) and in continuous snow fall it doesn't take long before the roads have a snow blanket. Winter of 2010 I drove in fresh 10 cm snow on several occasions and even in Helsinki the snow clearing wasn't keeping up with the falls and getting in and out of properties not on main roads was problematic. Front wheel drives seemed to fare better than rear wheel drives, but all wheel drive would have been a decided advantage, as would have bit more ground clearance as in a SUV type vehicle.

So what you're saying is you need more ground clearance, not AWD.

Yeah, a case can be made by anyone living in rural areas possibly in any part of the world. My point is things don't have to come to a standstill in adverse conditions because people don't drive AWD cars.

Mind you, it depends what RWD car you choose. I have a friend who can afford to buy some pretty nifty cars and some years ago he had a BMW (not SUV), which had a very clever traction control. It managed to climb on ice into a parking lot by very quickly shifting power left to right. From inside, it felt like rock climbing. No other car I've seen was capable back then of a feat like that. Sure, if it was a problem of ground clearance, we would have been stuck, but as far as traction/grip, that is well under control now, so AWD is not necessary.

As for ground clearance, you can't have enough for every situation. If you live somewhere you feel you need more you have/than a road car can offer, I would suggest you need a tractor. Use that to clear your driveway if you are too far out of the council area and then drive your car with no problems to the council cleaned main road.

In Japan I don't think I've seen somewhere that was not cleaned by snow plough. One night though, at midnight it was still coming down like in fairy tales (last plough was at about 8PM? 10PM?), and then I have seen the advantage of those little kei cars with AWD when a local climbed the hill past our chalet with no problems. Cute little things those.

Last edited: