Early aussie vedette

Wildebeest

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Window tint test....?

My nephew, now living in Adelaide, submitted his Pintara for check prior to changing from WA to SA registration.
The only thing queried was the window tint. The inspector claimed it was too dark. To do a test nephew was asked to remove a section of tint, quite large, from his drivers and passengers front windows. When these were submitted the tint was found to be according to Aus. standard.*
Nephew is wondering if the tint can be judged too dark by the inspectors naked eye or should a meter of sorts have been used ?
He's now up for replacing the door tints.:mad:

*The tints were done by the Nissan dealer when the car was new.

Wildebeest said:
My nephew, now living in Adelaide, submitted his Pintara for check prior to changing from WA to SA registration.
The only thing queried was the window tint. The inspector claimed it was too dark. To do a test nephew was asked to remove a section of tint, quite large, from his drivers and passengers front windows. When these were submitted the tint was found to be according to Aus. standard.*
Nephew is wondering if the tint can be judged too dark by the inspectors naked eye or should a meter of sorts have been used ?
He's now up for replacing the door tints.:mad:

*The tints were done by the Nissan dealer when the car was new.

NSW also have/had this law but they test it in situ

they only time i have heard of someone having the test done was when it has "appeared" too dark as most times they don't even bother testing

i have had the 306 tinted from almost day one and it has never been tested

Last car I had tinted (K1 - our croaked 138) was surplied with paper work that stated the film applied with the Australian Standards. I'm about to get K2 (the Coupe) tinted. Hoping there are some specials at the Brissy Motor Show.

In NSW they have a device/meter that they hold up to the window and the tint is tested for opacity in situ.

Reputable tint retailers won't sell tints that fail the tests although there are special ones for armoured cars etc that are exempt.

Don't buy cheap tints, they are just dyed and will progressively turn purple and the sun does its work.

The guy who had Valentine before me put 3M tint all around (dear, but the tint is incorporated within the actual sheets, rather than 'painted on') and it is a really good job.

Dave

kermit said:
Real films are made from metal layers, not died plastic as Dave stated.

I stand corrected. Could you tell I was on shaky ground when I typed that? I knew there was something different about the good ones???

My car feels really heavy now with all that extra metal it has to carry :wink2:

Dave

Wildebeest said:
The inspector claimed it was too dark. To do a test nephew was asked to remove a section of tint, quite large, from his drivers and passengers front windows. When these were submitted the tint was found to be according to Aus. standard.*

Something sounds very very wrong. When transferring to SA, cars have to undergo inspection at the TransportSA station in Regency park. I am very surprised that your nephew had to take tint off the car to get it tested. I know for a fact that they have the light transmittance meters at the transportSA workshop in regency pk.

If I were your nephew, I would write a formal letter to the relevant manager stating what has occurred and how the removal of the tint was completely uneccessary considering they have the equipment to test it without removal, and since the tint was also found to be compliant, you want transportSA to pay for the replacement of the damaged tint.

If he doesn't get a satisfactory response, get in touch with the ombudsman and/or write a formal letter to the minister demanding a response.

U Turn said:
Something sounds very very wrong. When transferring to SA, cars have to undergo inspection at the TransportSA station in Regency park. I am very surprised that your nephew had to take tint off the car to get it tested. I know for a fact that they have the light transmittance meters at the transportSA workshop in regency pk.
There is now way I'd be removing any tint to satisfy an ego manic of an inspector. I'd be demanding a light meter test. Obviously some of these guys are complete twits.

it just might be easier with you being of the "mature" variety rocking up with his car when you take it to get tested. :confused:

I agree on the twit comment.
I am sure these guys have a job to do to make our roads safer but egos have no place in an inspection. Your nephew should send the DMV or whoever a bill for replacemnet and see what happens. After all, if the tint was found to be illegal he would have to remove it but now he has to replace it because of an internal error(read a**hole)