Duck tales

gibgib

Local Tyrant
Staff member
Administrator
VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Drove to Noosa on the weekend & on arrival noted the 2cv idling on 1 cylinder. Over about 2k rpm it was coming back. Performance was pretty much unchanged on the run but didn't feel quite right.

Arrived back in Brisbane & still the same. I thought it may have been a bad batch of fuel so before I even looked at the idle mixture I filled up on a different brand.
This process appeared to correct the problem to an extent where it was idling on 2 more than 1.

But it still wasn't right!
& I could hear a faint ticking noise from the engine today as well.

I bit the bullet & decided to take a look at the rocker clearance, perhaps for a riding or sticky valve.
The clearances seemed OK except on an inlet tappet left bank, spring wasn't spring, more squishy...
The valve spring was broken a third of the way down on a different vave than the last time.

If you remember &/or read my message a few months ago, the other time this happened the spring snapped in the middle & roadsided me. A GS spring had the same dimensions but not as firm tension, anyway we put that in, it's still OK.

The ticking noise was the push rod touching the sides of the oil return tube when not under load!

I have ordered a new set of valve springs from our West Aus guru, hopefully it does not happen again!
I can't believe I drove 200 miles with 3/4 of a valve spring on one pot.
Still did 110k's with the compression loss.

Why would this happen twice :confused:

pugrambo said:
because it only has 2 pots :party:
Rambo wins 'cutting' comment of the day.:roflmao: :roflmao:

Why did it happen twice? Metal fatigue/age may-be, it was a different spring each time wasn't it?

HONG KONG PUGGY said:
Why did it happen twice? Metal fatigue/age may-be, it was a different spring each time wasn't it?

Different spring, different cylinder (ie. the other one of the 2cylinders) but inlet again. The car had been sitting not driven for 4 years only. It's an 86 model.

HONG KONG PUGGY said:
Leads you to think metal fatigue first...having only 2 cylinders, they are working twice as hard as a 4 cylinder spring?

Same working load if 4, 6, 8 cyl etc.
It does rev up higher/ faster & more consistantly to keep up with traffic flow, but so did my GS.

Metal fatigue is about what I reckon too.

Hi Gerry,

I've never heard of such a thing, try the 2cv lists at yahoogroups. Possibly a series of 2cv's left the factory with weak valve springs, and yours being an Aussie car has done so little work it's taken this long for them to throw the towel in :confused: :confused:

seeya,
Shane L.

mmm.. just did a complete seach of the 2cv-L group & not a mention by anyone of broken valve springs.
I could be a bit too hard on it as I like to sit on 120k going to the coasts (110k zones) but it seems to enjoy it, as do I :evil:

Can someone tell me exactly what RPM 120kphr is?
I think just under 4500???

Fuel consumption driving it this way is 43MPG (my worst result). Best I have had is 49MPG from Kingaroy to Labrador = 1 tank = 25 litres. Not exactly ground breaking but not too dusty :D

120 kmh sounds a bit cruel to me. I think I've had mine up to 120 once since I've had it ie 30,000 miles. They do seem to like the revs but I reckon sitting on 120 is thrashing the poor little thing.

If you chat to the 2cv owners overseas ... As far as there concerned the best 2cvs are the one that have been thrashed (as they are designed to be).

I think they top out at 70mph, so you most likely have an 'optimistic' speedo :)

They are designed to sit on that speed all day everyday, so I wouldn't personally be concerned. I imagine it's closer to 7000rpm++ than 4500 though (they are designed to rev this hard, just look at the massive crank & bearings for such a tiny little motor). It sounds like a lot, but just think how hard equivlant sized engines on motorbikes rev ... all the time.

I'd suggest sending Adrian Chapman an email to see what he thinks.

seeya,
Shane L.

I never had any qwams about revving it having driven a GS for so many years & hearing about the amazing revablity of the 1015cc engine, 602 should & does sing.

If the euro owners drive on an autobarn @ 100k all the time because of the "valve spring syndrome" as apposed to flat out, I'd probably take notice.
They are a simple motor & I don't believe there is a big issue if I give it the correct servicing & attention (which I do).

The only problem I can see is it being a aluminium coke can at speed, any speed really... just like a Hyundi or Daewooooo :blackeye:

gibgib said:
The only problem I can see is it being a aluminium coke can at speed, any speed really... just like a Hyundi or Daewooooo :blackeye:

Just wait till you pull one apart ... they have this fantastic crumple zone that resides between the front and rear bumper :roflmao: :roflmao: :eek:

seeya,
Shane L.