Ducellier Dist Timing issue

PugeotCrazy

Tadpole
I have run and maintained my 504 for some 18 years. The Ducellier M48 distributor has presented somewhat of a conundrum for many years.
Basically I have had difficulty getting the rotor arm to the correct position vis a vie the spark lead terminals in the distributor cap, at the point where high voltage current is released, as the contact points open.
Prior to modifications (i've tried several with varying degrees of success) the rotor arm has just passed the spark lead terminals in the distributor cap when the contact points open. The result is extra strain on the coil as the spark has greater distance to jump, vastly decreasing the lifespan of ignition coils.
I've tried several modifications.
1) Advanced the 3 bolt holes in the distributor body which determine the position of the contact set by 4mm. The disadvantage is the clips holding the distributor cap do not align neatly.
2) Currently I have advanced the tongue (abuts on the distributor cam) in the moving arm of the contact set by 5mm. This solution seems to be working quite well.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? I can only surmise that either the Valeo contact sets I have been using are incorrect for this distributor, or the inner rotor lug which fits into the slot at the top of the distributor shaft is incorrectly positioned?

G'day,
the only distributor problems I had with the 504 were due to the absence of a proper earthing strap from the body to the action plate - the effect was that at the point of the water getting hot enough for the vacuum line to be opened to the distributor the thing had a tendency to stall as the action plate earthing via the dirty spring clip didn't work at that spot. Easily fixed with 2 cents worth of braid and a couple of small lugs.
Apart from this, is your action plate in it's correct rest position ? if it is an extreme position - as set by the toothed cam thing on the rod to the vacuum pot that holds it, your rotor could be some way away from where it should be.
I would go for Graham's suggestion, a nice new article cures a lot of ill effects.... :)
cheers,
Bob

G'day,
the only distributor problems I had with the 504 were due to the absence of a proper earthing strap from the body to the action plate - the effect was that at the point of the water getting hot enough for the vacuum line to be opened to the distributor the thing had a tendency to stall as the action plate earthing via the dirty spring clip didn't work at that spot. Easily fixed with 2 cents worth of braid and a couple of small lugs.
Apart from this, is your action plate in it's correct rest position ? if it is an extreme position - as set by the toothed cam thing on the rod to the vacuum pot that holds it, your rotor could be some way away from where it should be.
I would go for Graham's suggestion, a nice new article cures a lot of ill effects.... :)
cheers,
Bob
Thanks Bob- I tried adjusting the toothed cam on the vacuum unit - no discernable effect. Have you any experience/opinion of the 123 ignition module replacement distributor? Roland Pim's opinion is they are fine until they fail, when they have to be replaced.

G'day PugCrazy,
never used electronic plug-ins, is it worth the trouble for a stock standard outfit ?
Provided your cam/follower gets a bit of grease you don't get a lot of wear at this point, and contact sets don't seem to demand much attention.
Go for a new dizzy and it's associated benefits of new bearings and seals etc etc.... :)
BUT, create and fit an earth strap.
cheers,
Bob

I'm not familiar with the 504 dizzy mount and drive, but I have seen this on a DS, where the dizzy gear drive offp the camshaft was installed a tooth out.

Reactions: bob
I have run and maintained my 504 for some 18 years. The Ducellier M48 distributor has presented somewhat of a conundrum for many years.
Basically I have had difficulty getting the rotor arm to the correct position vis a vie the spark lead terminals in the distributor cap, at the point where high voltage current is released, as the contact points open.
Prior to modifications (i've tried several with varying degrees of success) the rotor arm has just passed the spark lead terminals in the distributor cap when the contact points open. The result is extra strain on the coil as the spark has greater distance to jump, vastly decreasing the lifespan of ignition coils.
I've tried several modifications.
1) Advanced the 3 bolt holes in the distributor body which determine the position of the contact set by 4mm. The disadvantage is the clips holding the distributor cap do not align neatly.
2) Currently I have advanced the tongue (abuts on the distributor cam) in the moving arm of the contact set by 5mm. This solution seems to be working quite well.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? I can only surmise that either the Valeo contact sets I have been using are incorrect for this distributor, or the inner rotor lug which fits into the slot at the top of the distributor shaft is incorrectly positioned?
Are you sure you are using the correct rotor cap , some come with the brass contact having an extended return at its end, a bit like the Nike logo?

Are you sure you're not using resistor type coils, this would cause short life.