DS23 Pallas 1973 restoration

Ramaling

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Tadpole
I have some questions re upgrading the interior of my 1973 DS23 Pallas
Main paint job will remain Beige Thornolet.
I am looking to buy some new carpets and those from Coverdale in the UK look good - they have a gold colour in a wool/nylon blend.
Does anyone know what was used on the rear parcel shelf on the Pallas models?

There are some brown and beige vinyl options available from Der Franzose but I would think carpeting may be more consistent

If the car has a leather interior, then it's a piece of leather to match the seats. I think cars with a fabric interior got a piece of black vinyl, someone else will chime in and correct me.

Carpet wasn't an option but no reason why you couldn't put a piece there.

If the car has a leather interior, then it's a piece of leather to match the seats. I think cars with a fabric interior got a piece of black vinyl, someone else will chime in and correct me.

Carpet wasn't an option but no reason why you couldn't put a piece there.
Thanks for that. It explains what Der Franzose are selling. The interior of my car as a Tabac leatherette covering on the seats and doors cards.

As a general, the vinyl interiors follow the same rules as the leather interiors. If you're changing it though then you have free reign to mix and match depending on what you like the look of. Is yours a pallas?

The following images show the current colour scheme. Yes it is a 1973 DS Pallas. The green carpet was correct for the model as was a beige. I don't like the green and in any event its badly worn.
1630021697000.jpeg

DSC_4221.JPG

DSC_4218.JPG

Nice Car!
Thanks Gerry. The roof turret rails were badly rusted but they are now repaired and I'm going through the process of making hold down clips for a full bolt down and reseal of the rood

You appear to have the car michaelr owned for some years ...
https://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/index.php?threads/ds-pallas-restoration.85118/

Have you located the lower guard stainless trim strips that were missing?

This car originally had a cloth interior, so you will find it may still have the black vinyl on the lower B pillars, grab handles etc.. With leather trim the grab handles and lower B pillar trims match the leather. Original leather was the darker Tabac for 1973. I thought the parcel shelf would be brown vinyl as shown here:
https://shop.citroenclassics.co.uk/upholstery-and-carpet-71-c.asp

Re the carpets, suggest you get a sample of the carpet material and ensure you are happy with the pile density and strength of the backing before buying a set. Some carpets you may encounter look good, but flat easily and pile can pull out of the backing if not strong enough.

Rob, that’s a beautiful looking interior, but I’m with you on the green carpet- doesn’t really work with lovely tabac leather.
I put gold carpet set in my DS Pallas from Citroen classics UK. Very happy with the quality.
Since I took this pic I have redone the interior in tabac leather, and to my eye the combination is great.
I have a dark brown parcel shelf, but have ordered a better colour match to the tabac from Dirk Sassen in Düsseldorf. The quality also looks to be superior to the Franzose one.
7D2BF2B6-EE7E-400A-96AE-FC3445C513DF.jpeg

I do not recall my 23 Pallas having a carpet covered box under the Autoclima under dash black plastic vent/duct chute. These were very aftermarket fitments and there were variations in the way they were actually installed. In my case the evaporator was nowhere near as low and exposed as the arrangements in this pic. Things like the actual plumbing pipework and location of the condensation drip pipe were at the whim of the individual installer. Are you still running the reciprocating York compressor ? They create fatigue cracks in the cobbled up mounting brackets and the sudden clutching forces overstress the rivetted camshaft pulley. A modern swash plate compressor is preferable.

[URL]https://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/index.php?threads/ds-pallas-restoration.85118/[/URL]

This car originally had a cloth interior, so you will find it may still have the black vinyl on the lower B pillars, grab handles etc.. With leather trim the grab handles and lower B pillar trims match the leather. Original leather was the darker Tabac for 1973. I thought the parcel shelf would be brown vinyl as shown here:
[URL]https://shop.citroenclassics.co.uk/upholstery-and-carpet-71-c.asp[/URL]

Re the carpets, suggest you get a sample of the carpet material and ensure you are happy with the pile density and strength of the backing before buying a set. Some carpets you may encounter look good, but flat easily and pile can pull out of the backing if not strong enough.
Thank you David for pointing me in Michael's direction. I have spent the last few hours going over his posts and now understand a lot more about my car.
I'm a little disappointed that it doesn't have a 2.3 litre engine though technically the 2.175 litre may be a bonus as far as cooling goes. I was hoping for the car to be closer to original.
The UK Coverdale company have sent me samples of their carpet. Colour looks good but I will get some professional advice on its construction.

Rob - I've used a couple of different sets of Coverdale carpet over the years. They've held up really well.

Rob - I've used a couple of different sets of Coverdale carpet over the years. They've held up really well.
Nigel Thanks for your endorsement. I rather like the idea of dealing with a company whose reputation is entirely dependent on the quality of their product. No middle men plus they have been very cooperative so far

The parcel shelf on my '72 21 Pallas, is a black vinyl, with leather texture, and a fairly thick underfelt backing.
I think it is original.

The parcel shelf on my '72 21 Pallas, is a black vinyl, with leather texture, and a fairly thick underfelt backing.
I think it is original.
Thanks Bob and I will head down this method

Nigel Thanks for your endorsement. I rather like the idea of dealing with a company whose reputation is entirely dependent on the quality of their product. No middle men plus they have been very cooperative so far
Hi Rob,
That is a lovely car.
That tabac leather looks great- that colour always good with gold or caramel carpet.
I thought it was just matching tabac leather on the parcel shelf - or vinyl.

If you havent already had a look, the nuancierds.fr website has pictures of most combinations/exterior colours if you would like to see it in a real car.

Carpets vary considerably in their quality, mine from 5 years ago started to wear through, and pile came off as per David S's comment - I think it was a cheaper non-Coverdale carpet. Fabrics and rubber products from der franzose are not always the best quality and can be a bit hit and miss.

BTW I have had a lot of trouble contacting the folk at Coverdale this year - have you (or Nigel ) been able to get through to them ? I thought it may have been a COVID-19 issue.
They kindly sent me some samples a while ago, then never got back to me regarding my order for a full set.
I recently purchased just a front carpet via citronpieces because I couldnt get a response from Coverdale via email or fax.. and gave up.

Best of luck with the DS.

Cheers

Ramon

I had the same problem with Coverdale, great communication until I sent them an email to place the order then never heard back.

I’ve gotten 2 carpet sets from citroends.net and both went straight in with no problems.

When fitting the piece to the bulkhead hump you have to pull on it pretty hard to stretch it into shape otherwise you’ll get creases. The rest is a walk in the park once you get over the glue fumes.

BTW I have had a lot of trouble contacting the folk at Coverdale this year - have you (or Nigel ) been able to get through to them ? I thought it may have been a COVID-19 issue.

it was quite a few years ago I last dealt with them. Speaks well for the longevity of the carpet, but not their recent communications by the sound of things...

[URL]https://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/index.php?threads/ds-pallas-restoration.85118/[/URL]

[URL]https://shop.citroenclassics.co.uk/upholstery-and-carpet-71-c.asp[/URL]

I will need to sought out the trim strips - they look a bit eksy to import

I might be able to help....
Are we referring to the narrow SS strips at the bottom of the side panels?
I have 2 late model Pallas cars offering bits to worthy restorations.
I'll see of I have a full set in reasonable order.