DS21 BVH.... someone needed to remove engine from the car....looking for someone to rebuild also

dogboy

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
No one wants a dead DS in the workshop....anyone interested in at least removing a engine? or helping/guiding me to do it
I have use of a double garaged...powered and a engine hoist...some tools also
Id like it rebuilt but if needed i can take elsewhere for rebuild
anyone? or suggestions
location Main Ridge...mornington peninsula

There is 2hr video produced by the "Servicing The Goddess" team that shows the process of removing a bvh engine from a LHD car, and a similar video that shows it going back in.

In the US, Steve Hammond produced a series of (three?) videos showing the removal of the engine from a LHD manual gearchange car. Many of the steps are the same.

Watch them all. Take note of the steps and write-yourself a checklist. Then watch again to check your understanding and 'walk through' the job. You need a fairly basic set of tools for this and of course an engine hoist that can take the weight. In the UK, I've used a '1 tonne' hoist at 1/2 stretch - so 1/2 Tonne capacity/ capability.

Budge

There is 2hr video produced by the "Servicing The Goddess" team that shows the process of removing a bvh engine from a LHD car, and a similar video that shows it going back in.

In the US, Steve Hammond produced a series of (three?) videos showing the removal of the engine from a LHD manual gearchange car. Many of the steps are the same.

Watch them all. Take note of the steps and write-yourself a checklist. Then watch again to check your understanding and 'walk through' the job. You need a fairly basic set of tools for this and of course an engine hoist that can take the weight. In the UK, I've used a '1 tonne' hoist at 1/2 stretch - so 1/2 Tonne capacity/ capability.

Budge
mines RHD but i guess the steps are similar....thanks but think i need guidence with me....lol

its not hard. you need a lot of space.... just keep pulling bits off until nothing is left holding the motor in .... take lots of photos and label the hoses/hydraulic/wires if they concern you.

What is wrong with the motor?

its not hard. you need a lot of space.... just keep pulling bits off until nothing is left holding the motor in .... take lots of photos and label the hoses/hydraulic/wires if they concern you.

What is wrong with the motor?
the motor seems to be seized/stuck? its been in storage for 30 odd years

the motor may not turn because the gearbox is preventing it from turning. otherwise its probaby grabbed a piston. I had that problem on my traction recently, took the head off and freed the piston by tapping with a hammer and wood block.

Assuming Melbourne comes out of lockdown some time next week I am happy to come down to the peninsula and have a look and help you with guidance if you like…!? It’s a nice Sunday drive…

the motor seems to be seized/stuck? its been in storage for 30 odd years
have you tried some diesel down the plug holes? if you need to, whip the top off the gearbox and select 4th gear, then rock it back and forth and see if the motor frees up.

with the top off, you can move the selector rings with a screwdriver, not so critical which gear it goes in

with the top off, you can move the selector rings with a screwdriver, not so critical which gear it goes in
Yeah, I only said 4th, as it'll be easier to roll. I'm sure he will find which is the 4th gear assembly once the top is off (if he can't, it'll be obvous with a quick look at the manual on google). If he selects 1st or reverse, the torque needed to move the car will be much higher!

Better to not take the top off.
Just remove the actuating cylinder/piston, it's a lot easier to do the 3rd one cos it's at the front of the box, while 4 th is tucked away at the rear.

Then push on the end of the selector rod.

It's a much smaller job than taking the top off, and you don't risk getting the selector forks out of position, or dropping one of the 3rd/4th selector shoes into the box.