DS water pump & flywheel refurb.

KAndy

Fellow Frogger
Tadpole
Morning all,
Two questions
1/ can you rebuild/ referb water pumps (DS23 1974, see image below). As they are $$$ to replace, and
2/ any recommended places in Melbourne (once we are out again) to get a flywheel polished up?
Thanks
Andy
05751E9F-FE45-47A5-9440-F4E42822086B.jpeg

Most old time engine rebuilders will & can do both.
They press apart the water pump without destroying anything, then modify the water pump housing & impeller to take a modern ceramic seal as used in pool pumps & cheap, plus refit all to a universal cut off bearing. I've done a number of old 1920's water pumps to get a better modern seal rather than packed ones.

Attachments

• wp1_zpsaa46599d.jpg
    wp1_zpsaa46599d.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 80
  • WPQ.jpg
    WPQ.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 83
  • WPS1.jpg
    WPS1.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 84
Although.......
As i see in your pic...
Corrosion of the housing is the big issue.
It might not be worth the $$$ to overhaul this pump.
For old iron pumps yes.
However unfortunately, for modern thin alloy pump bodies we are in the age of chuck it out and buy a new one.

What do you want done to the flywheel?
Why?

Just go over it gently with a flapwheel.

Again, don't spend $$$ for unknown benefit.

Although.......
As i see in your pic...
Corrosion of the housing is the big issue.
It might not be worth the $$$ to overhaul this pump.
For old iron pumps yes.
However unfortunately, for modern thin alloy pump bodies we are in the age of chuck it out and buy a new one.

What do you want done to the flywheel?
Why?

Just go over it gently with a flapwheel.

Again, don't spend $$$ for unknown benefit.

I didn't think the A/C pump were readily available? I think John Titus might have been rebuilding them with bigger bearings ? (I'm sure he will chime in at some point :) )

Gee's its good to log onto this place and find all these DS restorations happening :dance:

I had the CX turbo flywheel surface ground last time I did the clutch (quite a few years ago now). The difference wa incredible. It went from a cracked heavily burnt lump of rubbish to brand new!

seeya
Shane L.

The pumps can be taken apart and new seals/bearings installed, The real trick is doing it without shattering the cast aluminum pulley flange or the impeller. Last I heard, the best approach was to drill and tap 3 of the rivets and use a harmonic balancer puller to remove the pulley. The seals are an odd size but I think are available.

A new pump shipped from citroenclassics will set you back about $200. 2 hours labour at a machine shop will be about the same.

A new pump is not unreasonable as Faulksy says. The rebuild is risk o would not take at those $