DS rear bumper question

The cam pulley cracking was a predictable result of dragging too much energy out of it.

The very first DS had just a single belt on aluminium pulleys, driving the coolant pump, low pressure hydraulic, high pressure hydraulic and generator.
OK, it wasn't quite up to the job, but it was close.
The later pressed steel pulley was a clever idea, but just a bit underdone.
Trying to drive aircon off the camshaft as well, was never going to be successful.

Seems a lot of extra engineering just to do that, but I guess that's the Citroen Way.
According to the Citroen Way, it's not extra engineering, it's necessary engineering. At that tume the company was run by engineers, not accountants.

Roger

A lot of it is simply manufacturing expediency, and in the case of the DS a reluctance to change ( admit ??? ) a faulty design. Consider the location of the main accumulator sphere... on long stroke or short stroke engines...so poorly located it had to be a flat top because there was so little room .. scroll on to the early 2000s the third front hydractive sphere on a first/second nose C5 is in a similar crazy position..... buried and exposed to engine heat. Similarly the pipe run to the rear spheres on a first gen C5 .. poking out below like dog's ba**s.

The cam pulley cracking was a predictable result of dragging too much energy out of it.

The very first DS had just a single belt on aluminium pulleys, driving the coolant pump, low pressure hydraulic, high pressure hydraulic and generator.
OK, it wasn't quite up to the job, but it was close.
The later pressed steel pulley was a clever idea, but just a bit underdone.
Trying to drive aircon off the camshaft as well, was never going to be successful.
And never was there a car ( maybe CX ?? ) more desperately in need of a decent air con and less able to DRIVE one.

A lot of it is simply manufacturing expediency, and in the case of the DS a reluctance to change ( admit ??? ) a faulty design. Consider the location of the main accumulator sphere... on long stroke or short stroke engines...so poorly located it had to be a flat top because there was so little room .. scroll on to the early 2000s the third front hydractive sphere on a first/second nose C5 is in a similar crazy position..... buried and exposed to engine heat. Similarly the pipe run to the rear spheres on a first gen C5 .. poking out below like dog's ba**s.
Again the original and best had the regulator located forward beside the gearbox, and very accessible.
And it appears to be flat topped because of the size of the screwed joint, although the internal is close to spherical.
Faulty design?!?!?!?
Wash your mouth out.
With soap.

I think the rubber is there straight to cushion a bump that in turn reduces deformation on the mounting points.

OK, so the consensus seems to be just to absorb gentle bumps. Seems a lot of extra engineering just to do that, but I guess that's the Citroen Way. Being an Aficianado I guess I wouldn't have it any other way.

That being said, the original rubbers were far from stopping ingress into the box section, so I shall explore the possibilities of replacing, or at least re-creating, them. I'll also look into Soft Seal, thanks for the tip BB.

I think it's informative for everyone to have these types of discussion. Every time I work on (play with?) Moby Dick I learn something new. Front bumpers are definitely solid mounted, but since the D-Special is the poverty pack edition I suppose they had to draw the line somewhere. At least he has the proper fungoid brake system and a lot of other good things.

Cheers, and thanks Chaps.
Pottsy. I have a set of the new mounts for my DS. They are very easy to copy. You are welcome to them

Thanks guys. I figured a bit of rubber 20mm on the inside and around 40 outside should be relatively easy to create. What did you use Peter?