Ds Power Steering

brian woodcock

Fellow Frogger
Too hot for the shed today, so just wondering if anyone has tried electric power steering on a D.There seem to be quite a lot of kits available.
Brian

Could be an interesting idea but does raise the question of why?

I know CCOCA have electric power steering kits for tractions which are always in high demand.

What would the idea be here - swap a failed hydraulic rack for a manual rack that has had electric conversion?

Well it might be something to think about in future given hard chroming may be banned in EU soon and that would make it difficult to renovate rack pistons and other 'hard' parts. ...

from video (thanks David) moving chroming production and industry waste products being 'less of a concern in Asia'. That's right the quality of polluting is a higher standard...
The issue of what to do with spent chemicals is terrifying in these circumstances.

I had my manual steering car converted to power steering. It originally had a cam-operated single piston hydraulic pump on the side of the block. A seven piston hydraulic pump was added.

there is still a lot of parts cars around with power steering. You need the steering columns, the column centering cam, the rack, the pump, a blanking plate and the hydraulic connections. Its not a difficult task to change them over. even between eras. I fitted a later DSpecial rack to an early heigleburg ID19 :)

seeya
Shane L.

Putting in a original hydraulic steering rack, pump & other bits is the best & easiest way to go.
No issue with engineering or certification.
I actually managed to get one of the Traction electric power steering kits that I then installed into our Riley RMB (with engineering certification).
The Riley steering & front suspension is almost exactly the same as the Traction as Riley actually copied the design.

The kits are apparently not made anymore.
If you could find one, it would need extensive rework to fit into a DS if even possible.
The biggest issue is the steering column itself.
There is simply no way to adapt the DS steering column to connect to the EPAS unit without welding & engineers will not accept any welding on steering components without very expensive lab xrays, magnaflux crack testing & other metalurgical tests.
The second issue is actually fitting the EPAS unit somewhere. There is no room for it between the firewall & the rack or under the dash either.
They are surprisingly bulky & long & the motor sticks out sideways. The curve of the steering column wouldn't help either.
This is a pic of the actual EPAS from the Traction kit. The column came from a Barina of a specific year
There are some 'universal' EPAS units being sold by a QLD mob but my engineer said he would not certify a conversion using one of them as they had no ADR certification.
Photo No 40001.jpg