DS Pallas Restoration

Hi Michael,

Don't want to lead you on a wild goose chase but measure the diameter of your pistons (or more correctly the bore). IIRC the car has a red engine tag which could (or should) mean it's a pre 1970 21 (or a 19) motor and not a 23 motor.

Why is this important...? You want to be able to fit the correct head gasket. I would hate to see you go to this much trouble to inadvertently fit the incorrect one.

Hope this helps,

Mark...:)

Hi Michael,

Don't want to lead you on a wild goose chase but measure the diameter of your pistons (or more correctly the bore). IIRC the car has a red engine tag which could (or should) mean it's a pre 1970 21 (or a 19) motor and not a 23 motor.

Mark...:)

Well spotted! Yes, it is an early DS21 block (DX) so 2175cc. I have the correct gasket kit but thanks for the warning.

The car was off the road for ten years before I got it so I have no idea of the history.

Done!

All rebuilt and running well. Smooth, quiet and the starter motor rebuild was a success too. :adrink:Two skinned knuckles and a gash in my forearm (I don't remember doing that) is not too high a price.

Not quite a success story. The last job was to get the car on ramps and do an oil and filter change ( the filter was very sludgy) and tighten the one final engine pipe flange nut that was only accessible from below. The stud sheared off :(

Looks like I will have to remove manifolds and engine pipe again soon. Well, not that soon, the exhaust leak is not that bad so she is a runner for Sunday's French Car Day.

Attachments

• 12070034_1280x721.jpg
    12070034_1280x721.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 1,195
  • 12070037_1280x721.jpg
    12070037_1280x721.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 1,420
Well done Michael, pleased to know the physical sacrifice was minor. These are the accepted badges of honour doing the job.

Head looks beautifully clean, if the internals of the head are the same I hope you flushed the engine block or will do so at the first opportunity.

My practice is to replace all the flange studs and nuts if there is even minor corrosion, wobbly bits, dud threads, etc. The cost of a set of studs and the correct nuts is minor to the inconvenience of visiting that area more than one has to.

Again, well done.

Happy motoring on Sunday.

Very lovely Robbert, a gret resource. I realised long ago I was wrong to label my thread "restoration", more of a "patch up" compared to efforts like that.