DS Headlight Damper

GreenBlood

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Thought this opportune to post at this time. David S has made mention of a much neglected component on a D, the headlight damper (http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/ci...d-special-headlight-assembly.html#post1230858). I'm just in the process of bringing mine back to life and was intrigued to learn that the damper is hydraulic and should contain LHM, the only hydraulic component that is not connected to the main system.

Having never had one apart I'd always assumed it to have a solid rubber, when actually it is a very clever device with a moving piston and an orifice between two cavities for the LHM to pass from one side to the other. The hole /orifice is larger on one side than the other which I guess is designed to assist with damping as the LHM is forced through and returns?

From what I understand there are two variations an 'H' as is mine and a 'V'. I've also been told that some were plastic, mine is alloy.

David S said:
If the damping device is untouched original, it may need repair, which involves cleaning and replacing two rubber diaphragms, same as used in a height corrector.

This is the unit removed from the car after pulling it apart and cleaning, the two rubber diaphragms are completely shot and have probably been that way since I've owned the car. The build up of muck meant the piston possibly hadn't moved in 20 years.

attachment.php

attachment.php

The components after dis-assembly, the outer rings just push off, undo the nuts, release the diaphragms and withdraw the piston.

attachment.php

The centre hole is where the piston fits, as mentioned one side has a large hole between cavities, the other a small.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I didn't take note when pulling things apart but I presume the large hole will face to the front of the car where the connecting rod will attach - anyone confirm?

attachment.php

I've ordered replacement diaphragms and note that these are the same as used on height correctors.

Truly amazing cars, another learning curve for me :wink2:

Cheers
Chris

Attachments

• 1Rims removed.jpg
    1Rims removed.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 1,082
  • 2Perished rubber.jpg
    2Perished rubber.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 1,091
  • 3Components.jpg
    3Components.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 1,059
  • 4Large hole.jpg
    4Large hole.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 1,006
  • 5Small hole.jpg
    5Small hole.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 1,049
  • 6Piston longer thread big hole.jpg
    6Piston longer thread big hole.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 1,114
Not so much a piston Chris, just a connecting shaft between the two bellows like diaphragms. Nice isn't it, they utilised the 1955 tooling for the rubber parts. The same part also fits my BX height correctors, maybe the Xantia too? Those parts were probably in production for over five decades!

Not so much a piston Chris, just a connecting shaft between the two bellows like diaphragms. Nice isn't it, they utilised the 1955 tooling for the rubber parts. The same part also fits my BX height correctors, maybe the Xantia too? Those parts were probably in production for over five decades!

Very nice Michael, I've searched to no avail to find any information on the damper. Nothing in any of the manuals, well nothing anywhere I've looked. Lance at DS Motors gave me a bit of a run down and informed me that these are topped up with LHM when fitting the second diaphragm, what a neat bit of kit, hydraulic headlight dampers :cool:

I had disabled the lights from moving as I found them annoyingly jerky on my car, I understand why now, and look forward to getting that side of things working as intended.

Cheers
Chris

Chris, you may find the jerky movement is due to stiffness or corrosion within the tubes that carry the self levelling wires. These are piano wire ( ie single wires ) and are subject to corrosion within the tubes. With your well documented attention to detail you may have already removed and cleaned out the pipes. The rear one is subject to easy crushing too. The front cable being shorter and in a more oily and more protected area is less likely to be a problem.

Chris, you may find the jerky movement is due to stiffness or corrosion within the tubes that carry the self levelling wires. These are piano wire ( ie single wires ) and are subject to corrosion within the tubes. With your well documented attention to detail you may have already removed and cleaned out the pipes. The rear one is subject to easy crushing too. The front cable being shorter and in a more oily and more protected area is less likely to be a problem.

Thanks fritzelhund,
I've yet to investigate the tubes, but I do suspect the rear will be unservicable, pulling on the cable at the front shows no give at all.

Again, most of the parts can be bought new including the cable with rear attachment. I'm determined now to get it all working properly again.

Cheers
Chris

God is in the detail, thank you Chris. I'm chasing you, in this department.

I've just removed this one off 74DSpecial, plastic version with single rubber on back going to see about bits for replacing rubbers.ImageUploadedByaussiefrogs1394954652.553581.jpgImageUploadedByaussiefrogs1394954684.668962.jpg

Interesting. Mine is a 74 D Special too yet with a metal damper like Greenbloods.

SF

Fair chance it's had the front guard swapped from something older perhaps? Most old D series will have mix and match panels by now, some of them having served on several cars.

The unit in my car has a considerably different set up, front has same set up but only single orifice and no sleeve on rear/different rubber, got me wondering as franzose has plastic units but same set up (assumed) as metal version.
photo copy.jpg

Last edited:
The unit in my car has a considerably different set up, front has same set up but only single orifice and no sleeve on rear/different rubber, got me wondering as franzose has plastic units but same set up (assumed) as metal version.

Steve,
Citroworld carry both types 'V' and 'H' complete at 33Euro each, but it looks like you get a 25Euro refund if you supply your old unit? Geert also has the rebuild kits at 16.70Euro - only one kit version so I guess the kit is suitable for both types?

I've purchased a kit and it comprises two outer rubber cups and two outer rings.

Citroworld | Dé webshop voor al uw Citroën auto-onderdelen (Citroën DS, H, HY, HZ en 2CV) en speciale gereedschap

Cheers
Chris

Is this the same as the SM turning headlight mechanism?

Regards

agd123

I believe so, yes. I'll have to reference an SM parts book to be sure. You do mean just the damper units, right?

Edit, oh do I have an edit: No. They appear to be different. The SM book lists them as 5 405 482p.

The two later D books (from 1971->on) list them as DX 541 260a. The earlier books (1968-69) list an "H" style. The SM and later D is a "Y" style. Curiously, the early D book lists as components to build a damper. The later books list the complete unit.

What the difference really is, I don't know. It could be as simple as finish, or the length of the external nut for the damper rod. It could also be the length of the internal 'piston'. :confused:

Last edited:
I believe so, yes. I'll have to reference an SM parts book to be sure. You do mean just the damper units, right?

Edit, oh do I have an edit: No. They appear to be different. The SM book lists them as 5 405 482p.

The two later D books (from 1971->on) list them as DX 541 260a. The earlier books (1968-69) list an "H" style. The SM and later D is a "Y" style. Curiously, the early D book lists as components to build a damper. The later books list the complete unit.

What the difference really is, I don't know. It could be as simple as finish, or the length of the external nut for the damper rod. It could also be the length of the internal 'piston'. :confused:

The "V" (or Y) units do not have pistons per se as noted by Michaelr and photographed by Forumnoreason. This is the DX 541-260A Part # that could be deemed to be unserviceable which is not the case if the diaphragms are available.

And as Greenblood got replacement diaphragms for his "H" unit, contact with Citroworld will confirm replacements diaphragms for the V units are also available. (Can't see the need for the retaining rings to be replaced though.)

I'd reckon a bulk buy for Oz would not go astray.

And the real reason for posting this reply is that the question arises as to what volume of oil goes in it on reassembly?

John

It's not oil that goes in them, it's headlight fluid.

Say again!

WTF is headlight fluid? Oils aren't oil!?

However, nevertheless, how many millilitres? It is certainly not litres! I'd reckon it's quite important.

Regards,

John

Say again!

WTF is headlight fluid? Oils aren't oil!?

However, nevertheless, how many millilitres? It is certainly not litres! I'd reckon it's quite important.

Regards,

John

LHM John. . .
Craig likes to enjoy his sense of humour :clown:

Lance from DS Motors advice was to fit one rubber cup and fill the unit with LHM from the other side until the LHM is level or as full as possible, then fit the second rubber.

Cheers
Chris

LHM John. . .
Craig likes to enjoy his sense of humour :clown:

Lance from DS Motors advice was to fit one rubber cup and fill the unit with LHM from the other side until the LHM is level or as full as possible, then fit the second rubber.

Cheers
Chris

Thanks Chris,

We would have to accept Lance's advice.

John

PS: Sorry Craig, caught hook line and sinker!