DS Headlamps Now Working Properly!

pottsy

Citroen Loony & BMC Nutter.
VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Thought I'd let everyone know that the rebuild of my headlamps has now almost reached completion.

Thanks to those who replied letting me know the dimensions of bits. Here are a couple of photos of the final product.

In summary I made a new yoke, installed a new cable from front anti-roll bar to the yoke, had to make a fitting for the end of the cable as well. I bought a 5mm stainless steel turnbuckle which is just right for the link from yoke to tilt arm. The pieces that the headlamp adjustors screw through on the top of the extensions of the tilt arm I also had to make out of round brass stock. I "glued" these to the top of the tilt arm lever with silastic on the assumption that a bit of give was needed or else Mr Citroen would not have made the originals out of rubber.

The last thing I needed to do was rebuild the damper assembly by using a thin layer of silastic inside and out on each of the diaphragms. Once this was cured over a few days, I re-filled the thing using baby oil. It seems to work fine. (And so far doesn't leak)

All in all the system works exactly as I reckon it should. Since the area I live in has an abundance of hills I've been able to watch the beams moving up and down as I dive in and out of gullies. Wonderful!

If anyone wants more detailed information I'm happy to supply it, time permitting.

Attachments

• tilt mech small 1.jpg
    tilt mech small 1.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 216
  • tilt mech small 3.jpg
    tilt mech small 3.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 219
  • tilt mech small 2.jpg
    tilt mech small 2.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 228
Pottsy,

nice job. well done. I am part way through a rebuild of the lights on my D and am using the old reflectors as mounts for new Hella lights.

I like your improvisations too.

I noticed your car does not have the ducting to force air up through the radiator. Any reason for that? Does the car run hot in warmer months?

UFO said:
Pottsy,

nice job. well done. I am part way through a rebuild of the lights on my D and am using the old reflectors as mounts for new Hella lights.

I like your improvisations too.

I noticed your car does not have the ducting to force air up through the radiator. Any reason for that? Does the car run hot in warmer months?

Sprung! I'm just too bloody lazy to have put it back in yet. Same goes for the ducts to the dashboard. It'll make it back in by Summer! (Meantime she's running comfortably cool on a run.)

I may leave the ducting for a while yet, the next phase is to fit an electric fan in the fibreglass shoud and ditch that horribly noisy aircraft propellor!