DS Boot light

brian woodcock

Fellow Frogger
Non of my cars have working boot light! in my 21 the light part is OK but nothing to turn it on. Should it have a gravity switch, or what, advise please.
Woody

The boot light switch is a very simple device about the diameter of a thin pencil that attaches to the moving part of the hinge. It has an internal steel ball that completes the circuit when tilted upwards..a gravity switch as you mention.
I suspect the ball and the contact point at the base are corroded...if there at all.

The boot light switch is a very simple device about the diameter of a thin pencil that attaches to the moving part of the hinge. It has an internal steel ball that completes the circuit when tilted upwards..a gravity switch as you mention.
I suspect the ball and the contact point at the base are corroded...if there at all.
You could consider fitting one of these:
https://www.jaycar.com.au/spst-mercury-switch/p/SM1035

Totally sealed and rated to 36 watts.

I'd suggest it's likely to be more reliable than mechanical switches.

Brian, not sure they are the same on all models, but my D Super had a switch and light as per photo.

Attachments

• D63DBC73-01F1-4468-AA11-9C2063C0B98A.jpeg
    D63DBC73-01F1-4468-AA11-9C2063C0B98A.jpeg
    534.8 KB · Views: 173
The gravity switch can be revived with a bit of wd40. Take it off and soak it. Should work

Hello, and if it does work, the light is about as much use as tits on a boar hog. I changed to a mercury switch and glued some flat LED panels to the parcel shelf.
If you know your films, it's like a scene from Repo Man when you open the boot.

It is a black hole in a D boot space..whether just the gloss black paint or the vinyl covered felt stuff.

Hello, and if it does work, the light is about as much use as tits on a boar hog. I changed to a mercury switch and glued some flat LED panels to the parcel shelf.
If you know your films, it's like a scene from Repo Man when you open the boot.
Great idea!

AHHH !!! You can get them at Bunnings for about 5 bucks. My local chemist flogs them too.

Non of my cars have working boot light! in my 21 the light part is OK but nothing to turn it on. Should it have a gravity switch, or what, advise please.
Woody
Hi, i just wired up a boot switch in my DS23, utilized a gravity switch on the hinge, and an LED strip in the original style lense, looks the part, works, and has a very low current draw in case the switch sticks etc.

Ian