DS Bonnet Catch

brian woodcock

Fellow Frogger
I have a bit of bother, a bonnet release cable on my 2nd nose has snapped. Does anyone have any details of a suitable tool to assist ,(its nothing like the 3rd nose)
Woody

I'm pretty sure the tool used for third nose cars - that pushes under the front edge of the bonnet to operate the catch - has been used successfully by others on second nose cars. I think the technique is reliant on there being a small hole in the catch body that you (eventually) locate the tool into.

I've a vague memory of accessing a catch from the wheel arch after removing a wheel.

Good luck with it!

This should remind all Dee owners to check the condition of their cables.
Over the years I've seen more Dees with pull/lever/cable system bent, wrongly routed, frayed etc , than those in good order.

Bicycle brake cables sheathed in 5 or 6mm nylon pressure tubing work well.
Also adjust the bonnet prong position so it hits the catch target correctly.
Nicely catching and releasing bonnets are a delight to use.
The frustration of inoperative release can be avoided.

The latch on 2nd nose does not have the small hole. I doubt the tool can work. I do believe I have managed to get my hand in, while in high position, and then get my bloodied hand out. Bon Chance!

I have a bit of bother, a bonnet release cable on my 2nd nose has snapped. Does anyone have any details of a suitable tool to assist ,(its nothing like the 3rd nose)
Woody
If you imagine a steel rod - - a bit thicker than thick fence wire. I curl the end around to make a handle and I think bend it a little to "kick" it over a bit. There is enough room to poke it through under the bonnet to where the catch is. You can push the catch open by I think going through a hole or locating the edge of the catch. I'm going by memory here but the main thing is to get a thin rod about a foot - - 12" - - 300mm long and go from there. I'm about to go out the door but if you still haven't got there I can take a few pics of the procedure. I carry a rod in each car incase this happens on the road. I use the catch often as I open the bonnet after each trip to disconnect the battery. I keep the catch well oiled.

John

Thanks everyone. I've finally opened it from below using a long bent screwdriver. On close examination I am unable to find any access from the front; however that is the LHS which incorporates the safety catch. The one on the RHS is easy.
Woody

if you ever make one up keep it in the roof rail, I had a jam recently and couldn't find the schmicko one I had made so made another, 15 minutes of bending and a n interchangeable screwdriver handle and I was back popping bonnets again.