DS auto electrician Sunny Coast/Bris?

Guido

Tadpole
Anyone know if there is an auto electrician with DS experience on Sunny Coast? Will need fair bit of assistance sorting the electricity on my recently acquired DS23, so better if there’s someone who has previous experience with “which wire goes where in a DS”. I’m at Noosa so prefer Sunny Coast but if I have to go to Bris for it I will.

Last edited:
Thanks, but at the moment it’s more a global question posed in advance. Its a car that’s tatty but sound and clearly has experienced what I would call “make do” maintenance and repairs. My first goal is to get it operational, registered and on the road. To that end it’s getting significant mechanical TLC from someone who knows what they’re doing and then I know will need significant electrical TLC from someone who knows what they’re doing. Probably beyond my competence and patience, so my plan is to get an expert in to get things working so I can register and drive it. Eg no flashing of indicators at moment, not sure about lights or tail lights, various gauges non responsive, various wires that don’t seem to be connected to anything.

I am sure Steeley will be able to recommend someone if he can't deal with it easily.

Cheers, Ken

I’m hoping someone might be able to send me/point me to the wiring diagram for the specific model DS23 I have? I know ideally I’d find this myself in the various resources but started looking and my head started spinning. My car is an Australian delivered car (ie has ADR compliance plate) which states built 12/74. It is (to the best of my knowledge) a DS23 Pallas EFI with auto box and originally had air con (the one that spans the dash). Pic is what I assume is the Citroen build plate. Will there be a specific wiring diagram for this specific model, or just a general one for “DS23”? New to Citroen, different manufacturers have different approaches.

Attachments

• 209390E7-091E-477D-A7E6-A807E9C10AFC.jpeg
    209390E7-091E-477D-A7E6-A807E9C10AFC.jpeg
    302.2 KB · Views: 77
The last set of wiring diagrams in manual 814 is what you are after. The EFI, A/C and BW auto box were all add ons to the base system so there is a separate diagram for each. You may find the diagram has a different fuse layout to your car as the factory seemed to give up documenting all the local variations for export market cars.

The last set of wiring diagrams in manual 814 is what you are after. The EFI, A/C and BW auto box were all add ons to the base system so there is a separate diagram for each. You may find the diagram has a different fuse layout to your car as the factory seemed to give up documenting all the local variations for export market cars.
I seem to remember that there was Slough/RHD market diagram in the very latest of 814, depicting a 6+2 fuse panel, plus everything shifted to the right. I'll see if I can find that one. Matter of fact, I think it was Chris (GreenBlood) that first pointed it out to me.

Be aware, 70-71 diagrams are different from 72->, and there are different diagrams for the EFI depending on model year.

I seem to remember that there was Slough/RHD market diagram in the very latest of 814, depicting a 6+2 fuse panel, plus everything shifted to the right. I'll see if I can find that one. Matter of fact, I think it was Chris (GreenBlood) that first pointed it out to me.

Be aware, 70-71 diagrams are different from 72->, and there are different diagrams for the EFI depending on model year.
I found the page I was looking for:
https://sites.google.com/site/citroenpublicationslist/
Scroll down to 814 "March '74 manual for D cars.
814-1
page 351

This manual also shows fuel injection and automatic trans. I forget if A/C is shown. If not 814-1, then 814-2.

Fantastique, thanks very much. Very, very helpful. My previously EFI car now sports an SU carb on the EFI manifold. Most of the EFI bits are still there except throttle body, inc Bosch computer, which was in boot. Be interesting to see how SU goes on the road, if it’s a dud I’d be more likely upgrade to 21st century EFI than attempt to reinstate original 20th century version. Only thing left of air con is compressor brackets and some hoses.

I’m hoping someone might be able to send me/point me to the wiring diagram for the specific model DS23 I have? I know ideally I’d find this myself in the various resources but started looking and my head started spinning. My car is an Australian delivered car (ie has ADR compliance plate) which states built 12/74. It is (to the best of my knowledge) a DS23 Pallas EFI with auto box and originally had air con (the one that spans the dash). Pic is what I assume is the Citroen build plate. Will there be a specific wiring diagram for this specific model, or just a general one for “DS23”? New to Citroen, different manufacturers have different approaches.
Looks like mine is only 20 units from yours.
Although don't know how you were able to take that picture as mine doesn't get much room in that area!

Attachments

• IMG_20211017_180042.jpg
    IMG_20211017_180042.jpg
    747.1 KB · Views: 78
Yep, and on my understanding not far from the last of the DS nade? Not sure where yours is but here’s mine, only thing in the way is the rather unusual SU carby ;)

Attachments

• F0C740E7-47CF-44B7-BDF9-0EF9C36EA12E.png
    F0C740E7-47CF-44B7-BDF9-0EF9C36EA12E.png
    282.2 KB · Views: 82
Ah, I see why it's easier to take a picture on yours then. Much less cluttered.,...
My DS23 is now back in Brisbane afters couple years on the Sunny Coast.
What area are you in? Maybe have to come for a looksee.

Fantastique, thanks very much. Very, very helpful. My previously EFI car now sports an SU carb on the EFI manifold. Most of the EFI bits are still there except throttle body, inc Bosch computer, which was in boot. Be interesting to see how SU goes on the road, if it’s a dud I’d be more likely upgrade to 21st century EFI than attempt to reinstate original 20th century version. Only thing left of air con is compressor brackets and some hoses.
Believe it or not, those compressor brackets are the most difficult parts to come up with. Even the original dual condensers are now available in repop, and any number of street rod A/C units will fit and do as well or better than the original under dash units. The Sanden rotary style compressors are far easier on the cam drive pulley and timing chain. Conversion to 134a is a snap with all new components.

With a modern EFI unit you'll get better fuel economy and performance. There's at least Haltech if you want to go Australian. They offer some really nice equipment and can get you set up easily because of the factory EFI components still in place. Also, you'll likely spend a good deal less. With Bosch, you'll be mortgaging your first-born to buy that throttle body you're missing. IF you can find one.

Believe it or not, those compressor brackets are the most difficult parts to come up with.
The clutch housing with the machined boss for the compressor bracket is also somewhat difficult to find. My solution, as everyone knows, was to mount the compressor in place of the alternator and mount the alternator above the compressor....
SD508 in 67 DS thumb.jpg

Still looking for name of auto sparky familiar with DS wiring if there is one Sunny Coast/Bris. Ian cd sort things but he is time poor and not excited by the prospect…I asked him for recommendations and he said “someone with the middle name Patience” 😆

Still looking for name of auto sparky familiar with DS wiring if there is one Sunny Coast/Bris. Ian cd sort things but he is time poor and not excited by the prospect…I asked him for recommendations and he said “someone with the middle name Patience” 😆

DS wiring isn't difficult ..... Why don't you have a go yourself :)

Like the mechanicals, falls in the category of things I’d rather pay someone else to do if they can do in 5 hours what will take me 35 hours (or in some aspects be entirely beyond my capabilities). But only if I can find someone familiar with DS electricals, otherwise I’m paying someone to spend hours working out DS electricals like I would. There’s quite a bit to be resolved. I’d describe it as “recommissioning”, with layers of hodge podge and redundant wiring around the place, EFI removed, air con removed etc etc.

If the Maleny Marvel is unable to assist with a tame sparky, perhaps you might consider a new wiring loom.
Recently experienced people on this site would be able to advise the most efficient source.
A new wiring loom would be colour coded to ease "plug and play" fitment ( the old loom will have many colour coded bullet type fittings that by now will have discoloured or become unserviceable with dead rubber tube sleeves .. and there are probably about a dozen such colour coded joiners for the DS headlights alone, and a couple of earthing ones as well ). The fabric tape used to bundle large numbers of wires is probably also shot by now too. A new loom would probably halve the "learn by doing" time and be set for length so installation would be more straightforward and generate less guesswork. Even components like the boot light switch and tail lights use the rubber tube style of bullet joiners.
Here is an example of what I mean.

https://www.classicjalopy.com/2017/10/citroen-ds-front-end-wiring-part-1/
Note the bullet type joiners and the unclear/discoloured colour sleeves. Even 20 years ago it was difficult to work out cream/grey/white coded ends, and of course each has a different function ..... lots of time in trial and error, test and repeat experimentation.

A possible supplier in the UK offering RHD looms, but you would still need to contact them as there are variations eg injection VS carburettor.
It does sound expensive to me but with hourly rates for labour maybe a better solution and more reliable in the long run.

https://shop.citroenclassics.co.uk/main-wiring-loom-rhd-471-2176-p.asp