DS 19 gearbox

andyk

Fellow Frogger
Advice needed please- recently removed the pipe assembly with pistons from '57 DS 19 gearbox but didn't realize the shims were different thickness- does anyone know the order of these washers!? thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0732.jpg
    IMG_0732.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 168
From memory, the shims are not critical since there is no stop in the actuator piston. The selector fork itself stops the movement. Arrange the shims so that the retaining plate engages all of the pistons the same amount. The two at the front end are the same and I think that means the thin one is in the middle of the three at the other end, but don't hold me to it.....

Last edited:
doesn't give any.......

All versions of the repair manual give detailed instructions.

Operation 721 or 330-3, depending on which version of the manual you are using. Paragraph 38 in both cases.

Roger

(Edit: in the "since September 1962" edition it is paragraph 39)

Last edited:
thanks Roger I'll have another look - thought it just read "replace washers"

From memory, the shims are not critical since there is no stop in the actuator piston. The selector fork itself stops the movement. Arrange the shims so that the retaining plate engages all of the pistons the same amount. The two at the front end are the same and I think that means the thin one is in the middle of the three at the other end, but don't hold me to it.....
Hi, that is not true. The shims do matter. The piston on opposite site is stop. So if you do not measure secure the gear will not engage properly or the fork will bent. Cheers. Harry

By way of clarification, there were two main versions of the DS19 repair manual. The earlier cloth-bound editions of the manual had all operations in the 700s. I am aware of 4 editions, dated June 1957, June 1958, April 1959 and March 1960. Editions of the later version of the repair manual were generally plastic-bound and had renumbered operations matching the part numbers, as with all editions of the ID19 repair manual. Manuals of the Later version were undated, apart from the latest one that states in the frontispiece that it is for cars produced since September 1962. You have to date them by looking for the most recent change they mention. I have two such editions and from memory they are from some time in 1960. The earlier one is cloth-bound. There was also a small sheaf of typed pages stapled together produced in 1959 as an interim repair guide.

Roger

Last edited:
Hi, that is not true. The shims do matter. The piston on opposite site is stop. So if you do not measure secure the gear will not engage properly or the fork will bent. Cheers. Harry
Well, that's what I get for relying on memory. Thanks for setting the record straight. (Thanks also Roger.)

Thanks everyone for your input - found info in friends manual .... just need to source some new seals now