Driving light relay on hi beam circuit 407? Will It hurt BSI

angru

Fellow Frogger
I'm planing to install driving lights on my 407 ('07 HDI) and am just considering any possible electrical issues with wiring a relay triggered by the hi beam circuit. I'm planing to use the wire at the connection of the hi beam globe to trigger the relay coil and get supply for the switched point to run lights direct from battery (through fuse).
What im wondering is how the BSI might react to having to drive the relay coil in parallel with the headlight globe. I'm sure the load of energizing the relay coil won't be an issue, but should it have a diode across the coil to prevent spike voltage finding its way back to the electronic components? Also... if I wire it this way and a headlight globe blows down the track, will not having the load of the globe, but still having the relay coil there cause damage to the BSI?
I'm really not familiar with the BSI system, and don't want to create an issue.

I added driving lights to my 307 years ago using the standard setup (relay etc that you described) and never had an issue with the BSI.

It will be fine.

I've done exactly that on my 3008, no problems.

The current draw of the relay is insignificant compared to the high-beam filament.

Also... if I wire it this way and a headlight globe blows down the track, will not having the load of the globe, but still having the relay coil there cause damage to the BSI?
I'm really not familiar with the BSI system, and don't want to create an issue.
dont worry about the no load condition, the globe going open or high resistance could happen in an unmodified vehicle so it's already designed safely in to the bsi. There is a good document on suppression from a relay manufacturer:
http://www.te.com/commerce/Document...v&DocNm=13C3311_AppNote&DocType=CS&DocLang=EN

Have a look around the engine fuse box, there are usually unused fuse and relay locations for other models/variants.

Thanks for the replies. I'll get some bits together and see how it goes. :).