Driving a Bugatti type 35B

Lucky bugger!! Tiny little things in the flesh, aren't they.

Yep! Your left calf gets burnt on the gearbox (which gets bloody hot) and the right leg gets brusied by the bulkhead support. You can't drive it with normal shoes as you will get all three pedals in one go-I drive them with my racing boots or bare feet.You and the passenger/riding mechanic need to be prepared to have your shoes and jeans splattered with oil from the gearbox, and you need to get on well with them as you are sitting VERY close together.
And none of this matters! It was built solely to win races, comfort was irrelevant and when you are driving it, it is just the most amazing experience. And then there is the sound... unreal!

I'll never forget their sound, driven in anger. There used to be (may still be) a Type 35B, supercharged, in South Australia and it was magnificent at Collingrove Hillclimb. Fairly successful in the race winning department too.... Fancy coming up with that in one design. The attached photo was a snap in Molsheim, the car being heard coming and a big smile on the driver's face, and on mine....

Sounds like I need a holiday in NZ......

Alan Moore has dramatically dropped the temperature in his BMW 2002 gearbox for track work by using a Redline full synthetic gear oil, but maybe the high temperature in the Bug is transmitted from the engine not internally generated?

Attachments

• Bugatti Type 35 Molsheim sml.jpg
    Bugatti Type 35 Molsheim sml.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 284
It's definitely from the gearbox. Your leg is hard against the gearbox housing and the gearbox is a long way from the motor