Draining 306 petrol tank

JK285

Fellow Frogger
Tadpole
What is the easiest way to drain old fuel out of a 306 (Petrol 1995 XT)?
Has been mostly sitting for 5+ years. I start it every few months and give it a drive around the paddock. It's running rough after a "spirited drive" which I'm guessing may have stirred up some debris in the usually near empty tank.

it sounds very unlikely that the cause of your 'running rough' is debris from your tank being sucked thru in the fuel lines
recommend you describe symptoms in more detail and check other more obvious causes first

but if you're still keen on the tank theory
the tanks don't have a drain bung (thanks peugeot) , so like the 205 its not easy
dmc's suggestion is only alternative

i've only ever drained out tanks by removing them completely
done that on three 205's and they were all very clean inside so it was just reassuring to know

it sounds very unlikely that the cause of your 'running rough' is debris from your tank
Agreed. I didn't drain the tank. More trouble than it's worth. I've put 10 litres of fresh fuel in.

Car runs OK when cold. Idles around 1000. Blip throttle when cold and it returns to smooth idle.
Once warm, it will drop to around 800 idle after throttle blip, and start running/hesitating under power.
When brought back up over 1000 it smooths out.

Checks I've done:
Air filter good.
Soap spray air/vacuum leak good.
Idle control valve is good. I've cleaned it, and have tested it plugged in and unplugged - it's working.
Cleaned throttle body (was filthy).
Spark plugs are black, have cleaned them and gapped them back to around 1mm.

Time to pull out the O2 sensor and clean it?
I haven't checked the fuel filter.

The nature of tank shape and pump etc., means it's near impossible to get it all out, without completely removing the tank and tipping the fuel out the filler neck. Best you can do, is hot wire the pump, disconnect hose from the fuel rail and drain into a drum until it's done. Then put fresh fuel in.