Door Stays

baldrick56

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Picked up a secondhand door stay recently and its sitting with the 'tongue' part about halfway out of the frame part that bolts onto the door. To be able to fit it I need the thing to be in the 'fully open' position and I can move the tongue a few mm either way but not to the end of the travel (squirted it with 'Lanotec' to attempt to ease it), this guy:
Door Stay
Reckons you shouldn't be able to move it if its going to be tight enough to stop the door slamming but how do you get the thing where it needs to be in order to install it? - I've tried tapping it from the back with the vise holding the 'stationary' part but so far its not moving - the tongue part is plastic with a metal "stop" or anchor at the inside-door end which is what I've been striking with the hammer.

Thanks,
Rob

Hi Rob not many answers yet ?? :rolleyes:
It has been a while but as I remember trying to move those things it required a lever just like the leverage of the door on it. Possibly you could wire it up to something solid or in your vice, and then using a bar or piece of wood and a bit of fencing wire through the hole, lever against the vice or bench carefully as it will jump to the next position or two !;)
Good luck jaahn

Hi Rob not many answers yet ?? :rolleyes:
It has been a while but as I remember trying to move those things it required a lever just like the leverage of the door on it. Possibly you could wire it up to something solid or in your vice, and then using a bar or piece of wood and a bit of fencing wire through the hole, lever against the vice or bench carefully as it will jump to the next position or two !;)
Good luck jaahn
Thanks Jaahn,
I got it installed now - ended up moving it to "fully open" in the hydraulic press, OK overkill that was but the placcy part survived and holds the door on open even facing uphill now. As usual broke several of the plastic 'mushrooms' that hold the doorcard on, trip to ChuperSeap yielded some "not exactly like" the broken ones but they seem to be holding so far ;)
Regards, Rob

Thanks Jaahn,
I got it installed now - ended up moving it to "fully open" in the hydraulic press, OK overkill that was but the placcy part survived and holds the door on open even facing uphill now. As usual broke several of the plastic 'mushrooms' that hold the doorcard on, trip to ChuperSeap yielded some "not exactly like" the broken ones but they seem to be holding so far ;)
Regards, Rob
Hi I need some plastic mushrooms for my 504 , do you know the part number of the ones you bought from Supercheap as I have not being able to find any in my local SC .

Hi Rally,
I was doing this job on my Ute so don't know how relevant the info will be to a 504 but fwiw here's what I bought:
IMG_2841.jpg

The 13mm ones (PP42) best fitted the Ute trim.
Regards,
Rob