Don't Go Electric, It's a con.

That will be a growth industry. Hopefully, there is provision to plug in a long range battery pack or just a booster pack that's enough to allow such a car to be driven from the point of breakdown on, say, a busy road. Or the tow rope might vanish and just become an umbilical charge cable between the 'tow' car with the generator and the 'flat' car moving slowly behind it.

There is never going to be an instant solution. We have to start somewhere just like we did when we didnt have any of the above mentioned power sources.

Unfortunately we are at the peril of corrupt politicians who make the decisions.

There are arguments on each side of the fence as always.

The facts remain the same and we will always continue to debate them.

Live free

There's functional nuclear reactor designs that do not use water for cooling and that are proven to be safe over many years. Even reactors that can use depleted uranium. These would be a great addition to the list of alternative power generation. As for batteries, well, I'm sure the tech will improve.

So has everyone who has flown..around the world..never flat around the world..or driven across it..and fallen ..off the edge....mythtery....busted!!

I reckon that the biggest problem we have is those who speak a lot of hot air..AND...BULLDUST.!!

Followed closely by the second "biggest" problem: those who refuse to view their own image in the mirror. :roflmao:

Correct

Those who point out are often....

Having understood the parameters of production of these vehicles I now see that there's no advantage ecologically and they will not save the planet.
On the contrary, this new technology is going to rip up our ocean floors and the scientists have no idea of the destruction it will cause to the marine environments down in the deep of the seas.
China is already doing it with absolutely no restrictions so the USA have begun the same race to the bottom and we can only surmise that this is going to be another terrible disaster for the planet.

https://oceanexplorer.noaa.gov/live...hXJfc36sSgPRhKhGE09sf-ZDHHeghNE1_C0fJ-UrKsd0Q

https://www.wired.com/story/the-race-to-send-robots-to-mine-the-ocean-floor/

What bothers me about this post more than anything is that it doesn't acknowledge the impacts fossil cars make - and then it lays blame on electric cars for increased future environmental degradation.

It also provides references for its claim that don't support the original claim (from the Wired website reference - "[FONT=&quot]leaders of Canada-based mining company [/FONT]DeepGreen Metals[FONT=&quot] and its subsidiary NORI (Nauru Ocean Resources Inc.) think they have figured out how to harvest the nodules [/FONT]without wrecking the deep ocean habitat").

There's functional nuclear reactor designs that do not use water for cooling and that are proven to be safe over many years. Even reactors that can use depleted uranium. These would be a great addition to the list of alternative power generation. As for batteries, well, I'm sure the tech will improve.

"Safe over many years" - no.

If people knew the easy way to make hydrogen...THEN !!!

It's not about "making" Hydrogen - it's about isolating it from other compounds, efficiently. Electrolysis separates Hydrogen and Oxygen from compound water, but it's inefficient.

On a large scale, it may be worthwhile having an inefficient process like electrolysis if another abundant energy source can be used (such as solar PV or solar thermal), and the stored Hydrogen can be utilised to produce energy when the solar is unavailable (such as at night). However, pumped hydro can provide this energy store cheaper and easier.

Moving to a renewable electrical economy is achievable. At present, wind is the cheapest source of electricity; what's needed is the either the geographic diversity to ensure that it's always blowing at a wind farm 'somewhere', or you can store excess production to get you through the lulls in wind. This isn't particularly difficult, but our policies aren't set up to motivate companies to spend the coin in these areas.

Well I have been aware that we are supposed to be good stewards of the environment.I learnt in grade school that when we produce Carbon Dioxide...WE ARE FEEDING...THE TREES...AND THEY RETURN THE FAVOR BY GIVING US OXYGEN..AND..WE DO NOT HAVE TO PAY FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!
As we know..Peugeot has been building electric cars since the 30's.it has always seemed to me that there is always a crossover time between something being invented and is affordability.
Still cannot comprehend why Peugeot did not produce the 308 R..quicker than the 100,00 plus Audi...NO POWER STOPS.

WE SHOULD ALSO CONSIDER THE MASSIVE AMOUNT OF WISDOM AND TECHNOLOGY THAN HAS BEEN BURIED ALONG WITH THEIR DESIGNER.

You still need a base load, such as coal or hydro to provide the frequency, then you can put the wind and solar on top.

You still need a base load, such as coal or hydro to provide the frequency, then you can put the wind and solar on top.

No - you don't.

The term "baseload" is a complete misinterpretation. It actually represents the minimum amount of power a coal-fired power station can idle down to, whilst still being able to ramp up to maximum power output (usually required from 1pm to3pm). From there, required output drops significantly.

Electric cars actually help us use electrical energy more efficiently as the absorb the 'downtime' energy that otherwise goes to waste. It's why we have "offpeak" - low demand for electricity during that time.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2017-10-12/renewable-energy-baseload-power/9033336

"Safe over many years" - no.

I was thinking specifically of the EBR-1 and EBR-2 that used liquid metal as cooling - tested and proven to be safe in the event of coolant pump failure. There's plenty of reading out there - Nuclear may not be an ideal solution but as an option, it's worth investigation.

A lot of battery manufacturers are trying to get away from manganese, cobalt etc. and other rare earth minerals in favour of things like sodium-ion batteries, structured carbon batteries, to both drive down price and stop having to mine the ocean's floor. saying that we shouldn't switch to EV's because they're currently a bit wasteful is like writing off modern cars because a model T is slow. Battery tech will get better, and many many times more efficient, and is already more environmentally friendly than ICE's, and further investment into EV's is going to accelerate that. look at what tesla has done with south australia's battery backup. No way that would've happened without model 3's selling like hotcakes.

anyway, if you want to be green in a pug, just get a 405 turbodiesel. 4.5l/100km by god that fuel efficiency

Well I'm going to go hybrid . . .

Hybrid - Coal - Electricity.

The GREENS will approve it, I'm sure.

What do you think:

environmental-issues-electric_car-hybrid-hybrid_car-petrol-petrol_car-mban4329_low.jpg

No - you don't.

The term "baseload" is a complete misinterpretation.

People frequently refer to baseload power as a justification for coal power, but coal is terrible at providing dispatchable power, which is arguably far more important.

Existing hydro systems are currently the best at providing dispatchable power (down to 16 seconds). Despite the environmental concerns, gas is also effective.
Battery storage systems can also fill this need, however the environmental concerns of battery production/disposal DO need to be considered.

One of the most effective things we can do is decentralise generation, which reduces power requirements (long distance transmission of power is extremely wasteful) and increases network reilience. In some climates, CHP (Combined Heat and Power) units can play a part in localising generation.

All changes to power infrastructure threaten vested interests and provide new opportunities.