Don't Go Electric, It's a con.

luthier

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Having understood the parameters of production of these vehicles I now see that there's no advantage ecologically and they will not save the planet.
On the contrary, this new technology is going to rip up our ocean floors and the scientists have no idea of the destruction it will cause to the marine environments down in the deep of the seas.
China is already doing it with absolutely no restrictions so the USA have begun the same race to the bottom and we can only surmise that this is going to be another terrible disaster for the planet.

https://oceanexplorer.noaa.gov/live...hXJfc36sSgPRhKhGE09sf-ZDHHeghNE1_C0fJ-UrKsd0Q

https://www.wired.com/story/the-race-to-send-robots-to-mine-the-ocean-floor/

Its already ****ed so who cares

If you think the cars are the problem you very much mistaken.

I care.

We really are a plague upon the earth.

I’ve just realised the earth is flat.

I'm in favour of dropping a nuclear device on the Great Barrier Reef because it's hampering development in Queensland. The sooner it's destroyed the better.

just sayin' :wink2:

You know: If all the cynicism being displayed on this topic was converted to care and action the earth could be a better place.

Meanwhile I'll continue to try to live within the planet's environmental means.

If everyone did the same we would't be in the situation we are in.

On the plus side there are far fewer parts in an electric engine than an internal combustion engine also not the consumables such as spark plugs, oil, filters, water and additives. But an electric car is still a car using energy and materials for the metal, plastic, glass and tyres. Because of this it would help the environment not to change over vehicles so often. A million new cars bought here each year might help the ecconomy but not the environment where no one takes responsibility for the shipping fuel use and the real cost of getting them here from far away. Batteries are I agree a major issue but as they are in a competitive area and there is much research going into them better production and recycling of contect will come about I hope.

Where does the electricity come from? We will need to completely cover the countryside with wind farms or put up with coal fired, so reduced benefit over petrol. Windfarms by the way only have a life of 25 years.
Car makers are pushing this, great potential for a lot of sales.

I'm very interested in the prospects of a national hydrogen production industry, as CSIRO have roadmapped. It is expensive now, but so were solar and batteries before they were commercially scaled up. On the east coast, the network is inherently reliable and stable due to the inertial mass of steam turbines. I disagree with the notion of raping the earth's rare metals to prop up the shortfalls of renewable energy. Why not use this excess 'zero-emissions' energy to produce a valuable commodity, while the politicians and energy companies continue the circlejerk about non-synchronous generation and the NEM.

My guess is that mining the ocean floor will result in more mines being opened on land. We already have every mineral we need right here, the problem is regulation, i.e. cost. Well, the ocean floor is fair game because there is no regulation and there won't be any time soon, hence the motivation to plunder. Faced with a steep decline in mining and the resulting economic side effects, governments will most likely relax regulations to make mining on land more attractive and provide tax cuts (the usual fix-all medicine), which will translate into more mines being opened on land. Keep on mining.

I've just realised that some of our A/F members are anti-everything........but particularly change .....

G'day,

Where does the electricity come from? We will need to completely cover the countryside with wind farms or put up with coal fired, so reduced benefit over petrol. Windfarms by the way only have a life of 25 years.
Car makers are pushing this, great potential for a lot of sales.

the whole of western Victoria south of the divide has been divied up amongst the windfarm developers already, the border to Bannockburn..... :(

25 years ? now there's a developing headache for the next generation of farmers. As it's understood locally, when the windfarm is knackered the decaying facilities will belong to the land owner.... :eek:

As to electric vehicles, the rest of us pay our petrol tax, where's that money coming from when the mobile batteries take over.... ?

cheers,
Bob

G'day,

the whole of western Victoria south of the divide has been divied up amongst the windfarm developers already, the border to Bannockburn..... :(

25 years ? now there's a developing headache for the next generation of farmers. As it's understood locally, when the windfarm is knackered the decaying facilities will belong to the land owner.... :eek:

As to electric vehicles, the rest of us pay our petrol tax, where's that money coming from when the mobile batteries take over.... ?

cheers,
Bob

I rather suspect that you have got hold of the wrong end of the pineapple. A wind generator, or generator blade may only last 25 years, but the masts and on ground infrastructure will probably have an indefinite life. It possibly hasn't occurred to some that having spent a squillion dollars to erect a wind farm that the owners might consider replacing various bits of the infrastructure along the way and after the 25 years? If electricity companies are still making money from windpower 25 years on I can't see them giving their shit away to farmers. They don't give anything away, period!

Whats the chance that they bring out a universal battery pack ,that fits all makes so you could pull up on the conveyor at the road house , and have a fully charged battery swapped in , by a computer ,controlled fork lift ' wile you take a leak , just like a battery drill but bigger ,have it booked to your charge account ,,there you go someone could make a motza from that ,but i dought it ,pugs

With a suggestion like that: don't give up your day job yet. :wink2:

Who subsidizes the gradually declining "health" of the change-over batteries ?

And do you really think all manufacturers will collaborate and build cars with identical battery mounting to support a "computer controlled forklift" ?

Charging stations will be here for a good while IMO.