does the 306 gti6 require premium 95rom +

corks

Fellow Frogger
sorry if its a dum question, but does the 306 gti6 require 95rom plus petrol or can you get by on normal.

tried going to that drive.to gti6 site whicxh listst specs but for some reason thats site locks up firtly ie then the computer full top - really good do with a format c and reisnatll, just a bit bizzy at the moment. :confused:

In Australia certainly post 306, Peugeot has recommended using PULP.

I do recall years ago that Peugeot offered to reflash ECUs for some 306s so that they could accept standard 91RON ULP. When the 306 was new, the requirement for PULP was fairly uncommon in Australia and it was something that would often hurt it in the reviews.

Well, my old 306XR used to ping like CRAZY on normal ULP. I wouldn't like to try normal ULP in a car like a 306GTi6with a higher compression ratio eek!

In the long run it should be cheaper on PULP - and anyway who cares, fuel is (for most people) such a minor cost in owning a car, compared to the major one depreciation.

Think of it this way, you do 20 000km in a year in a car that does 10L/100km at $1.00 a litre (random figure here) that'll cost you $2000

Do 20 000km a year in a car that does 10L/100km at 92 cents per litre it'll cost you $1840

I think that explains it all really - fuel is cheap in comparison to depreciation on a GTI6 which for its first 3 years would be $6000 a year or so.

Derek.

Just having a look at my log, over the past year I've spent $1528.28 on fuel (gotta love that 1.6 fuel economy). The extra cost of using BP Ultimate (always a 7c premium at the stations I frequent) was only $112.70.

When you think about it, it's only 31 cents a day to use 98RON instead of 91RON :)

Yes, if you're considering anthing else, you probably shouldn't be looking at a GTi6. Sounds harsh, I know, but it's such a top car that compromising on something like fuel just degrades the car so much. Heck, I think running anything but performance tyres o na GTi6 is blasphemous!

If you open the fuel cap you will see a reminder as to what fuel you need to use as a minimum.

It still has the tendency to ping if using ULP95 or lesser brands PULP.
When I stuck to BP Ultimate or Optimax I had no problems and car felt better.

If driving in the country I used to carry octane booster for all those stations hat didnt have 98Ron or even standard PULP (95)