DOES 123 IGN NEED SMALL CAPACITOR ON DS

gilberthenry

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
I've been fiddling with the ''68 Safari as sometimes it won't start easily after the engine has been run throughout the day. I thought I might install a new coil - - which I haven't done yet.
I've noticed a small capacitor which I thought wasn't too odd but on closer inspection I noticed that it is going from the POSITIVE at the coil to earth INSTEAD OF THE NEGATIVE - - - distributor side. I looked at the D Special and could not find a capacitor at all.

I had assumed that with 123 ignition it wouldn't need a capacitor. Both cars have 123 ignition but why does the D Special NOT have a capacitor and the Safari DOES and why is the capacitor connected on the positive of the coil. I believe the capacitor on the Safari has been there probably as long as the 123 ignition so why has it run without a gliche for all this time.
Shown is the coil of the safari showing the small capacitor which is grounded - - with the small black wire going to the positive of the coil.

On the negative side of the coil - - 1 wire goes to the 123 distributor and the other to a "kill switch" which I am in the process of installing.

Any suggestions, John.

Attachments

• Safari ign-2.jpg
    Safari ign-2.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 68