Do 1993 205GTIs have Tachometric relay?

Cosmo

Fellow Frogger
Hey fellow froggers:)

Do 1993 205GTIs have Tachometric relays & if so where are they located...

Have a wiring mess under the hood that I'm trying to tidy up - back to stock - but without it car is totally dead. (with it all connected it runs fine)...

Its a Bosch relay connected directly to the battery & what looks like a heat exchange....mounted on the body / next to right headlight.

Will post a pic soon.

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_6827.JPG
    IMG_6827.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_6828.JPG
    IMG_6828.JPG
    26.5 KB · Views: 166
Petty sure a series 3 has tacometric control for the fuel pump is built into the ecu and uses standard relay to power fuel pump. That really in the photo isn’t a tachometric, but may well be used for the fuel pump (or lots of other things). Next to it is a ballast resistor, not sure why that would be there. Is the ignition system standard?

Think not, at this stage they moved from Bosch L Jetronic (discrete parts) to Motronic the big difference was monlithic closed loop control so that infers the purpose of the tachymetric relay was subsumed by the ECU, so I believe the answer is no.

Thanks for the reply angru. The ignition system looks standard - I think, need to see another car to compare I guess.

Ok cool - it definitely affects start up - completely dead without it.

Definitely a DKZ (Nov 93) with the Motronic ECU.......and non standard looking wiring behind the alternator...

Attachments

• IMG_6830.JPG
    IMG_6830.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_6831.JPG
    IMG_6831.JPG
    18.5 KB · Views: 111
Turns over but not firing?
Fuel pump primes when key is turned but before starter is used.
Pull injector rail with injectors still in it and look for fuel being sprayed, let this dry before doing anything further.

with it connected - engine turns and runs perfectly (no problem) with it unconnected - nothing - complete silence...

Probably a relay on starter to relieve stress on key and barrel.

I’m interested to know why the resistor is there. It’s hard to see from the picture but it looks like the coil of the relay has one side connected to ground and the other connected to the resistor.. I can’t imagine why anybody would do that. But from what you’ve said it’s very likely that relay is there to operate the starter motor.

I’m interested to know why the resistor is there. It’s hard to see from the picture but it looks like the coil of the relay has one side connected to ground and the other connected to the resistor.. I can’t imagine why anybody would do that. But from what you’ve said it’s very likely that relay is there to operate the starter motor.

Yep. That was my guess when I saw the picture. Relay to control starter.

If you want to know what to look for look up on the web what the tachymetric relay looks like. Without too much detail, it should have more than 4 pins (from memory seven). On my 1987 205 GTI, it was housed in the black plastic box with a whole bunch of wires just under the AFM. It's a Bosch relay, can't remember the part number.

This is what it looks like:

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/at...27122d1331159757-battery-505-tachy-relay2.jpg

Turns over but not firing?
Fuel pump primes when key is turned but before starter is used.
Pull injector rail with injectors still in it and look for fuel being sprayed, let this dry before doing anything further.

I dont think S3 cars do this. Correct me if im wrong. I thought they primed only once the flywheel was moving?

Early cars prime before being turned.

Quite probable this is early motronic and makes sense, not having one makes it hard and my recent experience is all post 1998 with this now

Can email clearer pics to anyone who's interested....I cant seem to add anymore on this site.

The ceramic coil bit does only loop around from relay to ground/body. One connector goes straight to the battery & two (black & red) wires connect to others under the intake - assume that's where the starter motor is.

Might be a solution to a dodgy starter motor - providing more power &/or avoiding a meltdown...

The relay is generic Bosch.