dirt cheap Fuego rev counter problem

fiatracer

Fellow Frogger
hmmm... my fuego rev counter goes to 2000rpm and stays there until the thrashing ends. I thought maybe it is sticking to the dial face, but it seems not. When I turn on the ignition (but without motor running) the needle leaps about between 0000rpm and 2000rpm. OK, an earthing problem maybe, and where??? Also the temp guage seems erratic, dropping back to cold at times. Either I get this fixed, or fit the shift lights from by BX......

Hey Phil,
welcome to the host of stupid little electrical problems that a lot of cars from the 80's seem to have with those dodgy electrical circuit boards through out them!!

From what I have read in other posts- it's a case of dodgy connections, pull them apart and clean - maybe a squirt with something that won't attract dust but will help conductivity? -WD40 perhaps?

If not, I have a few spare let me know and I'll bring one up your way sometime..

Ben

connectors on the back of the instrument panel??? Actually, when I turn on the ignition, the needle jumps to 2000, then when the engine is started it sits at 3000. Geez, and people say Italian electrics are bad... never happens in my Fiats...

Renault17:

From what I have read in other posts- it's a case of dodgy connections, pull them apart and clean - maybe a squirt with something that won't attract dust but will help conductivity? -WD40 perhaps?
I'd go for contact cleaner if possible, WD40 is a bit oily.

Also check all solder joints havent turned "dry" - might need to resolder. Haven't heard of this happening so much to Fuegos (don't ask about R25's!)

The problem is that the needle warps with heat and age and is simply jamming against the face of the tacho. It should be fine internally and with a new needle will be good as new. Any decent speedo repair shop will be able to new needles for speedo and tacho that are similar enough to the Renault ones for not much money.
Its a standard Fuego fault.

I just read that again a little more carefully...
Could still be a sticking needle, in the past it may have moved the needle on its spindle, giving a wrong reading. When you turn on the ignition, it thinks its reading 0, and reading ~900 when idling, but the needle is in the wrong spot and giving a high reading. Conversly, when off, the falls down to what the internal tacho would think is - 2000 rpm.
I could of course be not making any sense as I got 2 hours sleep last night.....