Dipstick snalled in half in Oil gauge pipe

308CUCKEN

Fellow Frogger
Dipstick snapped in half in Oil gauge pipe

Hi all,
Seriously panicking after changing the oil in my Pug 308 2.0Blue HDi Allure today when the dipstick snapped in half as I pulled it out after filling up with oil. i pretty much know how much oil to put in without the gauge but am worried that the 15 to 20cm snapped off piece is sitting at the bottom of the tube and the sump will go down further and possibly get into the engine parts. I am thinking that the piece is too long to be able to go down further but feel like it is a ticking time bomb so need some advice as to what i can do? I certainly do not want to have to drop the oil sump to get at the snapped on piece!!

Last edited:
Well, if there isn't enough room down the tube to lower a strong magnet on a stick to retrieve the leftover dipstick, the alternative is to pull the dipstick tube out of the block.

Every HDI with any kms on it has a collection of those plastic tips in the bottom of the sump. They are away from the oil pickup, and separated from the mechanical parts. They are an exceedingly dumb design.

Or did the plastic stick itself break? There might be some accessible from the external tube. Measure it.

(Another dumb design is the coiled spring used in the 1.6 THP engines - you can't read the oil level on it).

The sealant used on the HDI sumps is extremely hard and needs chiselling off. Not a quick job.

The dipstick is metal on a Allure Blue HDi and it is not just the tip but has broken in half.
Every HDI with any kms on it has a collection of those plastic tips in the bottom of the sump. They are away from the oil pickup, and separated from the mechanical parts. They are an exceedingly dumb design.

Or did the plastic stick itself break? There might be some accessible from the external tube. Measure it.

(Another dumb design is the coiled spring used in the 1.6 THP engines - you can't read the oil level on it).

The sealant used on the HDI sumps is extremely hard and needs chiselling off. Not a quick job.

Sent from my SM-G950F using aussiefrogs mobile app

Hi guys, just did a revisit to the dipstick and it looks like the only the end tip where the gauge is has snapped off. See picture.
20181210_063943.jpg
20181210_063936.jpg

Last edited:
On a DW engine, you should be able to drain the sump, then undo the dipstick tube with a single screw at it's base, and another one bracing it up near the alternator. It's sealed with an O-ring, and should just pull straight out. If you're careful, hopefully the broken piece will come with it.

A very strong magnet at the base of the tube will help pull the broken bit out with the tube.

I think we are discussing the DW10F engine. If so, this shows the dipstick tube:
attachment.php

Attachments

• dw10f.jpg
    dw10f.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 443
Is the bit broken off a metal blade type arrangement that normally sticks into that plastic? I'm asking because that's what is on my 206 so I need to watch out for it coming loose. Mine has a fibreglass shaft above the black blob.

I wonder if the broken part is magnetic to any extent. You could use a magnet on some wire up through the drain hole and fish for it....unless the sump is steel.

Is the bit broken off a metal blade type arrangement that normally sticks into that plastic? I'm asking because that's what is on my 206 so I need to watch out for it coming loose. Mine has a fibreglass shaft above the black blob.

I wonder if the broken part is magnetic to any extent. You could use a magnet on some wire up through the drain hole and fish for it....unless the sump is steel.
Yes it is

Sent from my SM-G950F using aussiefrogs mobile app