Digital Video Camera for Incar Use?

Cal

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
I am thinking of buying at Sony HC-40, has anyone tried one in a race\rally car? Just wondering if the image stabilizer is up to it?

Cal.

i actually made a mount that goes in place of the passengers head rest in my 405 that i attached my girlfreinds cannon digital video camera to for the national motorkhana champs last weekend. it cost me a grand total of $8 to make and there was absolutely no vibration or shaking of the picture, though it was not really adjustable enough so some modifications are required.

this could be mounted in the rear and will be when i have modified it as it was not the best footage, only the horizon out the windscreen swinging from side to side. it did not give a real view of the course, but in a rally or on a circuit it would be better.

does the camera have AV inputs. If so you can buy a "lipstick" camera and hook it up.

What do you want image stabilisation for. It is really only useful for when you're zoomed in on something. As long as the lens is fully zoomed out then it will be fully responsive and any small shakes will make it feel more real.

If anyone else out there has more money than sense - this is a product i considered purchasing when i got my setup. The idea was that i could lease it out to friends and make some money back...

It is a $2495 digital in-car camera system with 4 channel recording (ie records from 4 camera's simultaneously), fully shock proof at is just a phenomenal unit. Unfortunately, at the time i only had 3 friends :) and the concept wasnt feasible...

damn i can only find a link to the single channel version

Cal said:
I am thinking of buying at Sony HC-40, has anyone tried one in a race\rally car? Just wondering if the image stabilizer is up to it?

Cal.
A mate of our is using a Panasonic Digital GS series and it has a similar feature, he uses it on the Karts at EC and tells me at speed it has (jumped frame?)played up but only ever so slightly. I don't think the ride will be as harsh in a race car, rally maybe... - Chris

ps. The trick was to make the mount as solid, and steady as possible.

Cal,

from the spec sheet it looks like your camcorder does have AV-in. If so any bullet camera will connect dierctly to it. It will give you the flexibility.

XsaraVTS,
Nice unit, I was looking for something similar about 6 months ago but settled for a camcorder with AV-in. Was also looking for the new era media players that also do AV recording. About $550 + camera sets you up with a unit that runs on 12V and a battery and records 25~27 fps at about 600x400.
But having 4 views recored simatenously... hummm :)

tekkie said:
Cal,

from the spec sheet it looks like your camcorder does have AV-in. If so any bullet camera will connect dierctly to it. It will give you the flexibility.

I can see this being advantageous if I want to mount the camera on the side of the car or on the sill or something. However, the real "lipstick" cameras are between $5-10k. The ones you guys are talking about are the security camera type. They are cheap, but the quality is low.

Cal.

Hi,
My brother has a video camera with A/V in & uses a small "pin hole" camera about half the size of a matchbox. This allowed him to put the video camera in a sealed container in the rear footwell to stop dust getting at it. It worked realy well! The resolution is slightly worse than the video camera's built in lense, but it still looks fine. This was also a year ago & I think they have brought out better quality cameras now. the benefits of such a small camera is that with some very sticky double sided tape you can mount it almost anywhare on the car :wink2: !!! I also like the setup on nate's RCS.
http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17479&highlight=camera
Here is a link to the Jaycar catalog that has a variety of cameras. They also have some wireless setups elsewere in the catalog.
http://www1.jaycar.com.au/productRe...d1=&Keyword2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=
Hope this is helpfull
Will

Cal said:
I can see this being advantageous if I want to mount the camera on the side of the car or on the sill or something. However, the real "lipstick" cameras are between $5-10k. The ones you guys are talking about are the security camera type. They are cheap, but the quality is low.

Cal.

Low quality?
what are you going to be watching it on?
if its a TV then there's no real point, its that blurry anywho :|
poota screen is of course a different story...

I'd say a good compromise is a 400-500TVL camera & a good lens... i'll be upgrading the lens shortly on mine i think...

As for a mount with vibrations, try to get a light camera, but you'd be surprised how stable it really looks!!! hey, its probably the suspension in the french cars right :)

The ones I've seen have a plastic lens.

Last time I did it, I used an old 8mm camera. I think the biggest problem was it bouncing around on the mount.

Cal.

my el-cheapo $200 lipstick cam, whilst attached to the plastic bumper bar using plumbers tape looked very stable while i was bouncing around the wakefield park. The vision deteriorates slightly while the camera points directly into the sun on one point of the track. Apart from that I found no fault with vision on the 68cm TV on playback.

Tried to find the manual for the camera (spec sheet) to no avail. I think it may be with my car spares. Will have a look on the weekend.

I was told its a 1/3inch Sony CCD. Will PM you the details on monday.

Tekkie is good at getting distant shots of the back of my car with his video camera. Perhaps on Sunday you might get some close ups Tekkie?

I do have to say last year there would have been maybe 3 or frames where you would see your car on the camera, then a quick beep on the horn and a wave before concentrating on the empty track in front.

This year.... your GTi6 brakes are definately giving you the 1/2 second advantage. I might have to crack open the engine install some cams with balls, and the gearbox with LSD to help me catch your racecar.

I will try to get the camera up and running this weekend again.

tekkie said:
I might have to crack open the engine install some cams with balls, and the gearbox with LSD to help me catch your racecar.
You'll need to. 16V is on the engine stand.

Last edited:
Cal said:
Which one do you have mate?

Cal.
Its a "Vision Hi-Tech Weatherproof bullet camera with Vari-focal lens."
1/3 DSP colour CCD (SONY)
480TV lines
752x582 effective Pixels
1Vp-p 75Ohm output
SN more than 50dB
Auto Gain control
Power 12V (8V~15V) 130mA

I watched the footage form the last event, and its rock steady. Even the ripple strips excusrions look smooth. ;)
The camcorder resides on the passanger seat strapped down.