Differential Identification

CamO

Tadpole
Hi everyone,

Call this a shot in the dark but does this diff look familiar to you? It has a 4x108 PCD and I've struggled to find what it's from. It's not any of the Fords or anything else for that matter so I'm really hoping it's from a Peugeot 403? Ignore most of the brackets you see as they are custom, the handbrake cable brackets and leaf spring perches are original. Another clue is the handbrake is cable not mechanical (leaver out the back) and has a single wheel cyl. located at the top (12 o'clock) which is double ended.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated...Bonus points for naming the brand casted in the carrier!

Diff1.jpg
Diff2.jpg
Diff3.jpg
Diff4.jpg

Are not old Pug live axle casings circular in section where they join the diff? This one has two parallel sides, and looks as though leaf springs were fitted.

Is there a mark cast on the top? Are the bolts metric or other?

Last edited:
Whatever it is it isn’t from a 403, and no other Peugeot I’ve seen.

Hi everyone,

Call this a shot in the dark but does this diff look familiar to you? It has a 4x108 PCD and I've struggled to find what it's from. It's not any of the Fords or anything else for that matter so I'm really hoping it's from a Peugeot 403? Ignore most of the brackets you see as they are custom, the handbrake cable brackets and leaf spring perches are original. Another clue is the handbrake is cable not mechanical (leaver out the back) and has a single wheel cyl. located at the top (12 o'clock) which is double ended.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated...Bonus points for naming the brand casted in the carrier!

View attachment 132220View attachment 132221View attachment 132222View attachment 132223
No chance on guessing this diff, you'll need to do more scratching around the casing to see if any letters/numbers turn up. It would seem to be a small car type seeing as there's only 4 wheel studs hanging off the end. Pug rear ends look a bit different than your mystery one. Any points for a roughy guess?02 (3).JPGIMG_7238.JPGimage (2).jpgDiff1.jpg

Hi everyone,

View attachment 132220View attachment 132221View attachment 132222View attachment 132223
if axle bearings have threaded nut retaining bearing instead of shrink ring and going, by handbrake cable mount bracket rear of spring pad I would say possibly Mazda,?......jim