Different size of tyres

spamboy

Fellow Frogger
im just wondering what effects different profiles of tyres would do. as i find it hard to find resonably priced 195/55/15 tyres for my 405 mi16..

i know the car came with 195/60/15 which i couldn't find many problems, im gathering speedo was out by about 5kph..

what would 195/50/15 be like?

i had a tyre bloke the other day use big words on me, saying that other sizes were physically impossible and if i tried to put them on the world would stop and i had to pay him 250 bucks a tyre.

So what is the deal..

cheers
Nathan

I think Mi16s came with 195/55/15, not 195/60/15. Although 195/60 tyres were fitted to the 14 inch wheels. I think 195/50 is a bit low for your 15s, 205/50 would be better. You shouldn't have any trouble finding tyres in that size.

John

You're in a bit of a predicament. 195/50/15 are fine, lowering the gearing slightly, but aren't the right load rating for an Mi16. So technically speaking are illegal. 205/50/15 are too baggy on a 6" rim, reulting in side wall flex. 195/55/15 are excellent!

195/55/15's range in price from $100 up to whatever your wallet can handle
all depends what you want from a tyre and how much you are willing to pay

nar from the factory 195/55

but when i brought the car it came with 195/60, i found no problem with these tyres that i noticed becides hitting the arches loading furniture into it and hitting a dip going way too fast on the summerland way but got the right tyres fitted when they needed to, a few weeks after i got it.

What problem would there be of putting these tyres back on..
i recon the extra bag would give a better ride on the bumpy country roads out here...

cheers
Nathan

how wide can i go on my rims, 205, 215 maybe too much..

id really like to change it to 195/60/15" because i can get cheeper tyres that will last longer as well as offer a bit smoother ride due to our large pot holl factories...
becides no corners around here..

cheers

Here's a neat site that wil show and calculate how a bigger rim/tyre combo will be against your stock size.

<a href="http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html" target="_blank">http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html</a>

So what do you guys would be the safest - bigger wheel you would put on an Mi16, i was thinking of going up to 17's when i get one.... or you think 16's would be a better idea????